anyone else have sansamp rbi problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacobm, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    i can not get a tone worth talking about with this preamp, i run it through a carvin dcm 2000 power amp into an ampeg bxt410hl and it honestly sounds horrible to me, this isnt a sansamp bash more of a frustration vent, can anyone tell me how an alembic f1x sounds through a swr 410, im in desperate need of a tone blues cure
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It may very well be your rig that's the problem. I've always loved the RBI tone; it's not the best out there, but it's great for the price and very versatile. I'd use something else if I had an infinite amount of money, but you'd be hard pressed to find something better in the same price range. Just set the drive half way, leave the EQ as is, put the blend up if you like the tube warmth, and presto, tone. Boost the drive if you want a bit of overdrive, and increase presence for more cut.
  3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I found that the RBI scoops a lot of the mids, and the 3 eq knobs really don't compensate too well in the areas I need...

the sound I was looking for was a kinda traditional middly P-bass sound, but with a bit of a warm tubey overdriven edge, and the RBI would produce a zillion varieties of harsh 'clanky' sounds

but if you fiddle around with it, you should be able to get what you're looking for... I got to my sound by having mostly clean bass signal, but with the 'blend' knob on about 1/4... I leave the tone controls on the RBI pretty much alone (goose the 'bass' a little), and bring up a bit of mid on my graphic EQ unit

my settings can be seen (if you squint a bit) here:

but for me, judicious use of 'blend' is the key - and i'm very happy with my sound now
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have very similar settings to cowsgomoo, although I keep the EQ basically flat. I use the BLEND knob to bring in more bottom end, but it does scoop out the mids a lot. As a fretless player, I need those mids. I was using a graphic EQ to goose the mids a bit, but have replaced it in my rack with a compressor.

I have been happy with my RBI, but I thought I would use more of the tube emulation sound that it is known for than I actually do. No complaints, though....
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've been a BDDI/RBI user for many years. When I first got the BDDI I was put off, because of the mid scoop mentioned above. As noted, the mid control does not counteract the mid scoop.

However the biggest tip (also noted above) is to back off the Blend control! I keep Blend no higher than 60%... and depending on the bass, I'll roll it back to as low as 30%. Reducing Blend reduces the mid scoop. I also keep Drive and Presence at 50% or below (usually). If all that doesn't do the trick, try reducing treble and bass: think of that as a mid boost rather than hi/low cut.

Sure, it's possible that the RBI is not right for you and your gear, but it's an extremely versatile device. Final suggestion: forget about the suggested settings in the manual (nearly all of which have Blend cranked 100%): just experiment!
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    for me I've learned that with my setup (aggies and pbass) I cannot put the blend on full (5 o'clock)

the controls on the rbi are active and sensitive to a little tweek here and there. I'm not sure about carvin amps, but I've found their speaker cabs to be bland sounding (not very revealing to tonal changes and not very warm on bottom)

experiment with other equip if you can get your hands on some, maybe other guitars, just to rule out different kinks in the system.

here are my usual settings 7(drive) 7(presence) 230(blend) 12(bass) 1(mid) 1(treble) I also have bright (elixer) strings right now. be sure to run you guitar volume high.