1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else have this problem at the music stores?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DeeDee Vicious, Apr 18, 2010.

1. So the other weekend I was at guitar center shopping for a new guitar.

(you know the thing that the other dude in your band plays that isn't a bass, its got 2 more strings and a shorter neck...hmmm? your unsure about this instument's existance? you'd know what i was talking about if you saw a pic)

Now that the trolling is out of my system...
    When saw something I liked I of course gave it a once over and plugged it into a reliable amp, then sat down. And I realized I had absolutly no idea what to play:confused:. Yup i had one of the biggest brainfarts of my life. If this wasn't bad enough my fingers started to cramp up from the pressure to play.

ANyone else have this problem or know an easy way to overcome it?

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Obligatory free bird.

I usually just go and play some power chords in a I-IV-V-VI-I progression or something like that, or I do some tapping thingy or some voodoo child intro or something real crappy. If all else fails, run scales.

If I grab a bass though I start playing one of either my band's songs, or some bass doodles that i've got floating around in my head

3. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Stairway to Heaven!

4. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Smoke on the Water!

5. Mastadon, Hendrix.............punk stuff?

6. Something from Joe Satriani or Steve Vai. You owe it to the other customers to let them know they're in the presence of a god.

7. Eventually I did play blitzkreig bop followed by an improvised smooth jazz peice (inronically on a fender Jazzmaster). Wchich is probably the last thing you'd expect a long haired teenager in a slayer t-shirt to play.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Who cares what you play? You're there to check out a guitar, not for a concert performance.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Oh, but thats about as much playing out as many TOTALLY BROOTAL guitarists get.

10. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    or PILE-DRIVINGLY HEAVY guitarists :) :bag:

11. I was in a guitar store once that had a HUGE sign in the guitar & amp try out room....."ABSOLUTELY NO 'ERUPTION' PLAYING ALLOWED".

12. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    How about "Smoke On The Water"? No one ever plays that, I'll bet...

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You gotta shred out some Burt Bacharach tunes, or they'll know you're a noob.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    No songs, I play scales & modes up & down the neck listening for dead spots and uniform tone & playability. Most of the time that shocks the dweebs slappin & popin the heck out of basses.

15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    This.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My personal favorite is when you go to a GC and check out a bass, and the salestard picks it up and plays his best slap riff for you before he hands you the bass.

My second favorite is when Tim Cole slaps Higher Ground.

17. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I think this is your biggest problem rather than not knowing what to play.
    :bag:

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Play the GUITAR not a song. Find a way to make it sing...without a song or regular thing you do.

JAM.

19. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Just play some slap guitar.

20. yea, i always draw a blank for the first minute or two when i pick up a bass at a store.