1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone else having this issue with their p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brekfustuvluzer, Oct 8, 2010.

1. this is a string related question, but i decided to put it here because it seems to be a problem with my bass, and not the strings.

i have an 08 or 09 fender am std p and it came with roundwound strings on it which i promptly replaced with TI flats. i have always heard not to string through the body with flats, so i began going through the back of the bridge, but the E string was too long for this. i would run out of silk and wrap the actual string around the tuning peg if i did this, so i strung through the body and assumed it was an issue with the TI strings as this was my first set of those.

well after they broke in, they sounded really good except the E string was always slightly muted compared to the other strings. i decided to try out some other brands and ended up going with a set of pyramids. to my chagrin, the E string was again too long and after it was all strung up, the E string was slightly muted again (which i didnt notice with the original rounds).

is anyone else experiencing this? why would i be having this problem? maybe a bridge swap is in order. is it really a big deal to string through?

thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

P basses had string through bridges long before roundwounds were even invented.
    String through and be done with it. Pretty much a no brainer.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Actually, I found the E string to be darker in sound than all other strings in almost all flatwounds sets I've tried so far - except the TIs.

Normally, they even out after some time (plus it's not even that evident in a band setting) though.

4. hmm, never knew that. thanks

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You don't really need the silk wrap to be around the tuner. It's supposedly to protect the tuning peg from scratches, but really who cares? The strings I use don't even have silk wrap.

6. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 08 MIA P5 with strung through chromes, no issues.

7. actually i think the core of the string may break if you wrap it.

8. I had an '08 american standard p5 that had a noticeably quieter/muted E string. I did everything to try to even the sound out including raising the pickup way up. Nothing really seemed to work.

I did notice that if I listened to the bass direct through a mixer, the sound was much more even string to string. it's possible that the E string is so low in frequency on a P bass that those low notes get lost coming out of a cabinet.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've been told by the TI rep that it can happen. Possibly it depends on the break angle and whether or not there are sharp edges on the particular saddle, I don't know because I did it for ages and never had one break or act funky.

10. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    My favorite strings - Lakland Joe Osborn 106 - 45 flats have kind of a muted (read:bassy) sounding E string ... sort of like they were from a different set than the A, D and G. However I like their tone overall but most importantly, I love their tension and feel. Many of the flats I've tried were too stiff for me (LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass 105 - 45 and Rotosound RS 77 105 - 45 for example) and whereas I loved the tone of both the Thomastic Jazz flats and the D'Addario light guage Chromes, they were way too floppy for me ... the Lakland JO flats are the perfect middle tension flatwound strings for me.

11. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    One thing to check is whether the break-angle of the E-String is sharp enough as it crosses over the bridge saddle. This is called a "witness-point." After stringing the bridge and tuning up to pitch, press down firmly on the string over the top of the saddle. If this isn't something you usually do, you'll notice that the string goes flat (a little) and the action will be lower. Just tune back up to pitch and you should be good to go.

This practice will improve the string's fundimental and should result in a stronger, louder voice.

Good luck!
    Greg

12. I've noticed this on my highway 1 P with chromes. I was worried something was wrong with the bridge, its been getting on my nerves. It's like its missing the punch of the note.
    So they do even out? Cause ive had mine a year now on various basses (back and forth between the P and the fretless VM squier, which is now traded) And he E is like.. kinda farting out and bleh. I'll be changing to rounds soon if it doesnt go away

13. i'll try that. thanks!

and on a side note, these pyramid strings are the SHIZ! they are the best sounding strings ive ever heard and i love the feel. a bit pricey tho.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Greg's right about that (pressing the string down over the saddle when you put a new one on). I always do that when I change strings.

I have an '08 Am. Std. P and Jazz. I have one strung through the body and one top-loaded. I don't really hear any difference in sound (or sustain, which a lot of folks say is better going through the body).

I use D'Addario Chromes as my flats of choice. They make a regular length and a long length. If top-loading, I buy the regular length. If going through the body, I use the longs. No problems with the E-strings on either of them. I despise a weak E string on a 4-string. Did you try adjusting the pickups to bring out more oomph from the E?

I had a beautiful Ric 4003 that I ended up selling because of the weak E. Tried all kinds of fixes with that bass. Even took it to the guy considered to be the best tech in Memphis. Never did get "right", so I sold it. But with all the Fenders I've had, if any had a weak E, a good set-up always remedied it.