1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else here adore Mahler?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by xlows, Jun 4, 2007.

1. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I can't get enough of him. Symphony No. 1 is my current Mahler obsession. Especially the third movement (the funeral march).

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. Symphony 9 and the Adagio from 10, plus "Des Knaben Wunderhorn". He was one of a kind.

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    The chance to play Mahler once a year or so if one of the main reasons I play music.

I used to love the 1st Symphony, but now I like the Fifth, Sixth, and Fourth even more.

However, the Second Symphony is one of the truly great creations in Western orchestral music. I put the Beethoven Ninth at the top of that pinnacle, but for me the Mahler Second is only a little behind. There's no feeling in music more uplifting for me than playing in the bass section for some of the quiet, angelic choral sections in the later movements of that symphony.

4. m9lc

m9lc

Feb 16, 2007
    I absolutely love the 2nd movement of his 1st symphony.

Mahler's great, and he sure does know how to use a French horn section ;)

5. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I love his music. 5 and 3 are my faves.

:bassist:

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Shoots! (that's "sure" in Hawaii).

PS... Bruce should be popping by any minute now.

7. I only know Symphony 3, but it is an incredible work.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea. Agreed.

I also adore Das Lied von der Erde. It's opening salvo with the horns and Bari soloist charging out the gate is terrifying and profound. Ok a few drinking songs in the middle but then comes the sixth song which when properly performed if you are not sobbing by the close of it you are surely dead.

Mahler's music to me is the sum of all the great Romantics tossed with some serious depression and tortured soul. His music has power, depth and dimension pretty much however it is performed. Wagner without the big boobies and popcorn.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I can't believe I missed this thread ! :eek:

I was obsessed with Mahler's symphonies for a long time - I have study scores of all of them !

The 6th is so intense and I remember being in an audience in London that was literally stunned by a peformance conducted by Simon Rattle - you could see people totally wiped out after the 1st movement, by the sheer intensity of the music!

I have lately got a lot more into the 10th - after hearing the award-winning Simon Rattle version with the Berlin Philharmonic - but with each new recording I hear new things and when Abbado's recording of the 6th with the Berliner appeared on SACD it was a revelation! :)

10. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    I adore Mahler. If his music doesn't affect you, you're probably dead - Uncle Toad is so right. My high school DB teacher got me into Mahler in a big way. My fave recordings are the ones Raphael Kubelik made with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. I'm probably biased, though , as I wore out a tape of Symphony 1 and the related song cycle (Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau) from this series.

11. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    It's a funny thing, but the Mahler First -- my introduction to Mahler and a symphony I long loved -- has kind of grown off me over the years, especially in comparison to his later work. The First certainly has lots of glorious moments in it, but overall, it's a bit of a pudding without a theme.

By contrast, I love the cycle, "Songs of a Wayfarer." By not trying to be a thematic unity in the sense that a symphony must be, the songs are fantastic in their own right.

But it's all good...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm not that keen on the 1st Symphony..but the 2nd and 3rd are true epics of the symphonic world and 5,6 and 7 are truly groundbreaking! 8, 9 and 10 are just unque in their own ways!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021