Anyone else here dig Bob Dylan?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by olps, Jul 2, 2003.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Anyone else here dig Bob Dylan? What are some of your favourite tunes of his? For me I'd have to say Don't Think Twice, It's Allright, or My Back Page. That cat's stuff is great, especially the harmonica bits.

*wasn't sure if it should go in "off topic" cause it was music related, feel free to move it mods*
  2. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I can throw on "Blood on the Tracks" at any moment and still thoroughly enjoy it. I love that album. His recent stuff has been pretty impressive, too. "Love and Theft" is a fine piece of work, methinks.....
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I love "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "Hurricane"...actually, too much stuff to list. His "Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie" is great.

BTW, olps, I changed your threat title so it would be less cryptic.
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I just learned "To Make You Feel My Love". Great Wedding Song! He definitely rates up in my top 5 songwriters list.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like Dylan's songs - but I hate his harmonica playing!! ;)

Blonde on Blonde is my favourite - but he's written so many great songs it's difficult to know where to start!
  6. ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Dig Dylan--you bet! Although sometimes I think his songs are more accessible to the average listener when covered by other artists. "The Times They are a-changing" has some of the greatest lyrics ever written IMHO. It took me a while to warm up to Bob's delivery..etc..but man, once you do, there's none finer
  7. When I first heard Dylan, I hated him. Back in my younger days I was more into bands that played technically well. (BS&T, Chicago, Steely Dan, etc, etc) I went to a Dylan concert and for 3 hours the only thing I understood that he said was SHOT GUN. (the crowd would go wild) But as I grow older I've come to appreciate his unique gift for condensing a very complicated emotional situation into a few simple words. Musically he is a primitive but with a unique melodic gift as well. I think his singing voice has shown the most improvement over the years. He has developed this thing where he sounds like he is on the verge of crying (John Brown) that really brings out the emotion of the lyric. My favorite Bob Dylan tunes. Blow In The Wind, Mr. Tambourine Man, Tombstone blues, It Ain't Me Babe....etc.. for the older stuff. From his most recent stuff, I really love the tune John Brown......I'll shut up now..
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    He's not the greatest vocal talent or musician, but when you're a sublime poet, you can kinda get away with that.

Props to Bob!

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Second that! also as somebody else said, once you warm up to him there is none finer. I had to warm up to his voice, but I have always loved his harmonica playing. I enjoy way to many of his tunes to make a list - One that I really get a kick out of is Bear mountain Picnic. That tune makes me laugh.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Coffee shops used to pay him NOT to play. While I don't like him, I do admire a man who can't sing and can't play guitar who is famous for both.

(Please note, this is in jest, NOT a legitimate viewpoint)
  11. I have always thought that Dylan has had a two fold significance in pop music. First he was the conscious of a generation with songs like "Blowing in the Wind", "Hurricane" "Maggie's Farm", "Masters of War", and "With God on our Side". In these songs he became the heir to Woody Guthrie as the balladeer singing for social change.

His other significance was the fact that he has written some of the most wonderful songs about relationships that have been penned in any era. He is the standard to which many songwriters hold themselves up against. And his genius lies in his economy of style. Using simple yet effective folk hook melodies, Dylan seems to say so much with a verse or two - more than many can in a whole song. For example:

"Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"

With your mercury mouth in the missionary times,
    And your eyes like smoke and your prayers like rhymes,
    And your silver cross, and your voice like chimes,
    Oh, who among them do they think could bury you?
    With your pockets well protected at last,
    And your streetcar visions which you place on the grass,
    And your flesh like silk, and your face like glass,
    Who among them do they think could carry you?
    Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands,
    Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes,
    My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums,
    Should I leave them by your gate,
    Or, sad-eyed lady, should I wait?

or from Mr. Tambourine Man

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship,
    My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip,
    My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
    To be wanderin'.
    I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
    Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way,
    I promise to go under it.

or Positively 4th street

I wish that for just one time
    You could stand inside my shoes
    And just for that one moment
    I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
    You could stand inside my shoes
    You'd know what a drag it is
    To see you

Finally, "Idiot Wind"

Someone's got it in for me, they're planting stories in the press
    Whoever it is I wish they'd cut it out but when they will I can only guess.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy,
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me.
    I can't help it if I'm lucky.

I always loved that off handed remark, "I can't help it if I'm lucky."

Dylan has also shown a sense of the folk musical history of America. Beside Guthrie, Willie McTell, Huddie Ledbetter and others, one of his biggest influences has been Robert Johnson. If you look at the album cover for "Bringing it all Back Home", you will see three albums laying on the coffee table. One of them is Robert Johnson's "King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol 1." When you consider that this Dylan album came out in 1965, you can see how much farther he is ahead of his time. The Johnson album would later influence a whole generation of musicians in the years following 1965 including Clapton, Jagger and Richards, and Jimmy Page.

His guitar playing is the pits. His voice is bad. In concert he sounds even worse. However, I was lucky enough to see the Rolling Thunder Revue and it was one of the top three concerts that I have ever seen.

IMHO his top three albums are: "Blonde on Blonde", "Blood on the Tracks", and "Time out of Mind".
  12. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I was first introduced to Bob Dylan through my father's playing of ther wilury's album back in '88/9 (I would have only been 5 or 6). I absolutely loved the Tweeter and the Monkey-Man song. I prefer his voice now than in the early days (he sounds dead now, and I love it - so much emotion).
    I read somewhere once that the simple structure or lack of musical prowess(whatever you want to call it)works in his favour as it highlights the lyrics.
    btw, I love Ballad of a Thin Man
  13. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I like most of his stuff a lot. I like the second greatest hits album the most even though I don't understand some of the songs. I don't really dig Raidy Day Women though. I dont mind the lyrics but I find the music kind of abnoxious.

Btw, does anyone understand Quinn the Eskimo. I like the song but think that I'm probably missing some hidden meaning.

Edit: The String Quartet Tribute to Bob Dylan was groovy too.
  14. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    I just can't get enough of his Greatest Hits Vol. II as well; that's what I've got spinning in my record player now. I also think his music is rather "simple" (for lack of a better word), but it's more about the meaning, or poetry for that cat.
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I saw him in concert a year or so ago. He had some top-notch musicians with him. They played some pretty complicated pieces; not at all what what I was expecting. I usually go for a harder type of rock'n roll, but I have to say that was one of the best concerts I have ever attended.
    Without a doubt, Bob Dylan is THE poet of our time.