1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else incorporate yoga into hours-long practice sessions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SalmonKing, May 17, 2011.

1. SalmonKing

SalmonKing

Apr 28, 2011
    I got my new J-bass about five days ago and have been practicing five hours a day, sometimes more. I force myself to take a break every hour, and usually go through a few cycles of the yoga sun salutation. I find that some kind of body-limbering exercise is essential when I spend a good part of the day standing in exactly the same position with 20 pounds hanging from my left shoulder. (So far, I've only practiced standing up because I don't yet have a stool.)

Anyone else do yoga to stay relaxed while playing? Any specific advice? Particular exercises you've found useful? I don't know the names of a lot of the poses, but I've found that the one where you interlace your fingers and stretch your arms over your head while leaning to one side is especially good.

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Not Yoga as such but certainly lots of stretches, warm ups and warm down exercises. They pinpoint my neck/shoulder areas, then upper and lower back,then my arms and hands. The routines i use are combined to take in multiple areas as used, but also they will have secondary effects on posture, breathing and relaxation as a "side effect" of doing them. The warm ups also have the same value in preparing me for what i am about to do.

A couple of minutes doing such things pays great dividends in the future....but you never notice it because the point of doing them is so you never have to notice.....if you get my understanding?

3. 89JazzMan

89JazzMan

Sep 10, 2009
    Various
    This makes a ton of sense. You play the best when you are relaxed and completely tension free. Yoga lets your mind relax so that your muscles and ears can do what they need to do without interruption from that little voice saying "dont screw it up"

Read "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Timothy Galloway. It will change the way you look at practice

4. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    not Yoga, but I used to do Tai Chi and I now see that the practice of shifting the weight and the method of standing and finding the flow would be very good for standing for a long time. I am trying to work that in.
    I think there is a lot in Tai Chi that could help my playing. I choose it over Yoga because it is something that I can do WHILE playing instead of when I stop. I think that Yoga is great and I am not trying to talk you out of it, just bringing up another practice.

5. SalmonKing

SalmonKing

Apr 28, 2011
    I'll look into tai chi as well. Why would there be any contradiction between tai chi and yoga? The way I look at it, a correct principle is a correct principle; all good practices must tend to converge on those same principles. I've never heard of a method of improving body awareness that says, "Keep your breathing shallow and your shoulders hunched."

I tend to think that the correct mindset for practicing one thing--total immersion in the present moment--is the correct mindset for practicing anything. I've observed a parallel between practicing scales to a metronome, and syncing my breaths with the movements of my body while doing yoga. In either situation, when past-thoughts or future-thoughts start to intrude on my consciousness, my rhythm becomes compromised. With yoga, there's a little hitch in my breathing, or I falter slightly in a movement; when playing scales to a metronome, I lose the beat, even if it's just by a hair's-breadth of a sixteenth note. (The old joke about losing your meditative state by being proud of yourself for attaining it seems to hold true for me.)

I've recently tried playing the bass as a kind of extension of yoga, using my breathing as the basis of my hand movements up and down the scales. I do yoga for maybe 15 minutes, then, without losing the slow rhythm of deep breathing, switch on the metronome, pick up the bass, and inhale up scales, exhale down scales.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    no yoga, but meditation.

Would love to take a yoga class tho.....

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I use some hand stretches and exercises that originally is part of yoga practice, and find them really effective and useful, but not other than that.