1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else like a Precision neck and the Jazz body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SMW17, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SMW17

SMW17

Mar 5, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I recently took up the bass after twenty-something years of guitar playing and I've come to an odd realization: while I love the Jazz body, I find the neck to be too narrow and "cramped" feeling. (I have long, skinny fingers). I was dinking around on a Road Worn Precision this weekend and really dug the way the neck felt. I dug it enough to seriously consider buying a Road Worn Jazz body and setting it up with a Road Worn Precision neck. I'm curious if anyone else likes this mix (I know the P body/J neck is popular) and are there any potential issues with this set-up that I haven't thought about? Thanks!

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

No issues I can think of.
    I actually am the opposite. I like a P body with a J neck :)

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

4. SMW17

SMW17

Mar 5, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Well, if it's good enough for Jaco, maybe it's good enough for me.;)

Thanks for the video link, Alvaro!

5. telepbrman

telepbrman

Dec 11, 2007
    Post a pic when done, cant wait to see/hear the results...dy.

6. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Jazz with a P neck is good for practice. After stretching your fingers on a P neck for some time, you will be able to play faster and easier on a J neck. That's what Jaco says on that video :)

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I prefer the P-bass neck to the jazz neck too. I bought a Squier P and threw the neck on the jazz bass. It felt much better, in my opinion.

8. I actually just ordered a P neck for my mim jazz. i liked the feel of my old p bass neck more than the jazz. the jazz is faster, but i dont like it for normal playing. if i were to be constantly shredding i'd probably like the jazz neck more, but not for what i'm playing on a day to day basis.

Cant wait to get the neck. I'll post pics when I get it

9. Yep, I'm building one right now. Natural swamp ash jazz body with a P neck. Hope to have it done in a couple weeks.

10. Yep, modded Hoppus here, Jazz Body, P neck:

Picture048.

11. Neck is on it's way and should get here tomorrow. I can't wait... I will finally have a black jazz with a maple board :hyper:

I'll post pics when i get it on tomorrow afternoon

12. As promised:

[​IMG]

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep. Precision necks rule, especially the Fender Fullerton-era Vintage Series '62 P neck. Very wide side-to-side, and very shallow front-to-back. My favorite neck ever. The reason I don't own a Jazz is because I've never played one with a comfortable neck- they're too skinny side-to-side, which I could adapt to, but they're too deep front-to-back (probably because a very thin neck needs to be deeper to give it enough wood so it stays stable) and that's a real problem for me.

Not just me, either. Anthony Jackson's "Career Girl" bass that he used for most of his early session work (e.g. "Love of Money" by the OJs and the classic Chacka Kahn recordings he did) is '70s Fender Jazz with a Precision neck on it.

John

14. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    My J is collecting for this very reason. Once I got the P, and now the 4003, I can't go back -- the J neck is just too thin by comparison.

Maybe someday I'll try getting a lefty P neck for the J body.

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've got a Jazz bass with a big, thick Squier P-bass neck on it. It's the fattest neck in my collection. I used to think I liked Jazz necks and even Ibanez necks better, until I started getting horrible thumb cramps playing on them.

I actually kind of prefer my Peavey T-40 necks, because their 1/16" wider than an average P neck, but they don't taper as much from heel to nut, and are slightly flatter front to back.