Anyone else like the sound of their stock Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steamthief, Oct 21, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My 10-year-old son took an interest in learning the bass line of Blitzkrieg Bop earlier in the week. Not wanting him to ding my MIA P/J or SR4, I pulled out my '93 Made in Korea Squier P-Bass for him to play. Plugged into my Ampeg B-100R, I was surprised to hear how good my $200 starter bass actually sounded.

I had bought a replacement pup from Reverend to install, but now I'm not so sure it's needed. Other than scratchy pots that need to be replaced, this bass plays nice. The neck feels great, no dead spots, and the bass has a nice, woody thump tone.

A lot of Squier bashing occurs here, but is anybody else out there happy with their Squier unmodified, or am I just going deaf?;)

2. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    i have heard great sounding squiers coming through an ampeg svt cl.

never owned one myself, and plan on going straight to the fender, but definatley a decent sounding bass for someone on a budget (who isnt?)

3. lowrumble

lowrumble ********ed Specs of Fender

Jul 17, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I'd been contemplating buying a Fender, most likely a P-bass, and just got a bonus at work, so I could afford whichever one I liked most. I bought an Essex P-bass from Rondo a couple of months ago as an inexpensive way to find out if that was the kind of bass I wanted. I like the Essex a lot, but it has a pretty noticeable dead spot on the G, so I was thinking of making it a backup to a better sounding Fender. I used to have a Deluxe Active Jazz, which is a great bass, but was too heavy for me so I sold it to one of my jamming buddies.

So I went in to my favorite local store to play some Fenders to compare them. I started out with a USA-made P with the S-1 switch--the most expensive one first, tagged at $899. It had the same dead spot as the Essex, not quite as pronounced but still very noticeable. I also did not like the S-1 switch enough to care about it.

Next I tried a 60th Anniversary Standard P. This was the best sounding P I played; priced at $499. I had expected to want the new Upgraded Highway One P ($749), but after playing the mexican, I didn't like the H1 as much. It was "deader" in that same G-string area than the standard, and I didn't like the "greasebucket" tone control--I guess increasing the low end is a part of the P sound that I like.

The sales guy asked if I wanted to try the Squier P-bass, but I said that I didn't; I was probably going to get the standard. Not that I was especially excited at the prospect--it wasn't that much better than the Essex; it just didn't have the dead spot as much. (I now know that all bolt-on maple necks have this to some degree; it felt good to prove it to myself.)

But at some point during all the P-bass sampling, I noticed a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz standing nearby. I decided to try it before I checked out. This is the Jaco-style Jazz with 3TS finish, an ebonol fingerboard, and no pickguard. I loved it immediately. I'd never picked up a fretless bass before, but I loved the way it was working for me. The agathis body made it much lighter than the Jazz I'd sold away, and the fretless, synthetic fingerboard made the dead spot pretty unnoticeable. It sounded great, felt great, looked great, and cost $279.

The salesdude was pretty disappointed when I carried it to the counter after he'd been expecting me to buy a spendier Fender. But I'm psyched to now have both a P-bass and fretless Jazz that I love. My shopping trip sure didn't turn out the way I expected, but I love surprises. :D

4. I've had my Affinity Series P for about a year now. Not a bad started bass, the pickups are starting to cut out but other than that it's a really good bass for $380.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the sound of the Squier i occasionally used. it's an older one, MIK, with Fender in big letters instead of Squier. the only thing wrong with it is that it's a neglected instrument (spends most of it's time in storage at my church), and the pots don't do very much. the volume pots are basically on/off, no fade, and the tone pot doesn't do anything at all.

6. I have one of the new Vintage Modified fretless Squiers and there is no way that I would modify it. It doesn't need it, everything is great. My only gripe is that the pups are fairly quiet, but a quick turn of the volume knob on the amp solves that. Great bass.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think my Squier P Special sounds great, I bought it with intent to swap the pickups immediately but realised that they actually sound quite damn good stock. The bass has a bunch of smallish problems but the pickups aren't a part of them, in my opinion, they're heaps better than what my first bass came with ten years ago.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't own a Squier, but my brother did, his first guitar was a Squier strat. It was a really cool guitar with a very good tone-he regrets selling it!

Mind you, when I get my Squier "Jaco" bass, I doubt I'll mod it in anyway!

9. Yeah, that is what I have (mentioned above) and you will have no need to mod it. It is great just the way it is. And the neck and fingerboard is great.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm just waiting for them to arrive in England!

Get your act together guys! :mad:

11. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    i'm thinking i might end up with the new squier vintage modified j bass. I think they should come out with a P-bass model with a maple fretboard with blocks. that would be SWEET.

but seriously, i think that your squier sounds so good cause it's MIK. Korean instruments are pretty much on the level with Mexican instruments IMHO. Maybe even a little better, actually. Just remember, Squiers get made cheaper all the time. Once upon a time, they were made in Japan... now, Indonesia and China... Heck, I even had a big Fender little Squier Series Tele that was MIM, so they get made cheaper all the time...

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My buddy's got one that with 9 year old dead rounds, sounds amazing. Really get's that Jamerson thump.

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You know, I'd never pick my Squier Affinity P over my Sterling, but still, it does sound quite good. Very punchy sound.

Graeme

14. I liked the sound of my squire, head over to the luthier's corner to see tutorials of the various horrible things I've done to it, but now it feels much more mine, and it sounds alot beter to

15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Well, I'm glad to see it's not only me! I've got one of the "big Fender, little Squier" basses. I just got the new Bass Player mag in the mail today, and they give very good reviews for the new vintage Squier series, particularly high on the pseudo-Jaco fretless model.

16. My made in Indonesia Affinity P bass is great. It weighs 7 1/2 lbs and puts out authentic p bass sound. The neck is easy and action is low and buzzless. With the standard Fender 7250ml strings this guitar really delivers. Even the paint job is nice. Is it better than a Highway 1? No, I like the Highway 1 finishes better, but soundwise I'd put it up against one.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I almost pulled the trigger on a new Vintage Squier. Then my Jazz Bass gave me chronic shoulder soreness so I bought a Jay Turser Beatle Bass. But yeah, Squiers...you can't beat them for sheer value vs. cash outlay. The sound is in you, no matter what bass you play.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021