Anyone else like this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Nov 28, 2004.

1. That when you are listening to a recording that is out of tune, oh, plus or minus 25 cents, that you can't tell at first listen. But as soon as you play an instrument that is out of tune by like 5 cents, you can tell immediatley? For example, I was just listening to nickthebassists new song and people said it was out of tune, i hardly noticed. I started playing some guitar and immediatly said that i was out of tune, i was right.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Intonation is relative. As long as every instrument in an ensemble is tuned to the same reference pitch, be it 440Hz or 445hz, the ensemble will sound fine (except to people with perfect pitch, but that is the curse of their gift). If your guitar is out of tune, it will just sound bad, and any musician worth his salt should be able to tell when that is happening.
  3. Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Well, to the best of my knowledge, 25 cents is pretty much a quarter tone, and pretty painful to listen to. Unless your last name is Shankar.

I mixed a record once and made a call to drop a complete guitar track by 2 cents. Made a HUGE difference.

Guess all them years of playing fretless did more than I thought.
  4. i can hear a difference of +/- 2 or 3 cents when tuning. annoys the hell outta me