Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else like to listen to john scofield?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Apr 21, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey just wondering if iam the only guy thats like this band? And if anyone knows of other bands like this that i can get into cds! Sorry iam from athe boondocks of southern missouri and not much jazz reaches here! Thanks all!

2. I like Sco's angular playing, but his chorused and distorted tone gets on my nerves after a coupla tunes.

3. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I really liked the album a go go! Very cool!

4. I love John Scofield! I saw him a few years ago w/Joe Lovano and it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. A Go Go is a cool CD. Another one of his I love is an older one called "Still Warm". I heard "Bump" over at a friend's recently and totally dug it.

If you like Scofield I suggest you check out another great post bop guitarist, Pat Metheny. Last year's "Pat Metheny Trio Live" is a great CD. Pat Metheny and John Scofield did a great CD together called "I Can See Your House From Here".

Also check out the band Tribal Tech. They're a favorite of several of us here at TalkBass. Their guitarist, Scott Henderson, also plays those killer angular licks similar to Sco. Also Tribal Tech's bassist, Gary Willis, is amazing. Tribal Tech's latest CD "Rocket Science" is excellent.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    M&M-
    ...I agree with you; both of Metheny's recent cds, Trio Live & the studio trio album, Trio '99-'00, are worth some listens...as is TT's Rocket Science.
    Scofield seems to be on a straightahead-ish kick; his newest has Billy Higgins on drums with Chris McBride on bass.
    Sco has also been in Fusion bands(Cobham-Duke Band with Alphonso Johnson), Funk bands(w/ Dennis Chambers & Gary Grainger), & I guess, R&B bands(the album with Medeski, Martin, & Wood).
    I also like Scofield on the Patitucci cd, is it Sketchbook?
    Cool player...

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well see whats so damn funny about this is that me and my drummer live in the middle of nowere missouri and lost are guitar player about 6 years ago so it just been me and him playing together for 6 years with no guitar! Well ive played bass for about 16 years and the drummer for about 15 we started out about 7 years ago and played rock pop craap! Till we lost are guitar player then we started to play funk for about 5 years and now we have been comming up with this wierd shiit with off time changes and real technical craap! We have never heard anything like it on the radio so we thought that nobody would like it! Then are buddy from chicago comes down and listens to us for awhile and said its this jazz stuff like john scofield! He left us a cd of them and we thought wow this is cool maybe people do listen to this kinda stuff! Is that stuff really populer as this guy said it is? I relize we just live in a really bad area!