Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else listen to the Jim Rome show?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 7, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    As widely syndicated as Jim Rome's radio show is I can't imagine that there aren't any other "clones" here. Anyone? I've mentioned him in passing a few times here but never really talked to anyone else about him. I think he's hilarious personally and I enjoy all the traditions and inside jokes. When I have time I send in emails. He's read two of my emails on air this week...just funny one-liner types.

I've listened for about 7 years. Like many people I didn't care for him much at first but I gave it a week or so and he grew on me. He always says when he comes into new markets "Give me two weeks and if you still don't like me fine but just give me a little time."

Anyway...anyone else?

brad cook

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when i was on the road, i would always listen to AM stations (i really don't know why)...

i used to catch him every now and then. i thought he was annoying, especially when on one show he said Golf wasn't a sport. that pissed me off - that's the only sport i can actually play.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I prefer my local sports radio guys. I've checked out Rome on TV. Some of his stuff just comes across like he is trying too hard.

-Mike

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've listened some, watch him others. I can take him in small doses... But, his obvious LA slant kinda bugs me.

Earth to Romey, the rest of the country is listening to. Maybe you might wanna throw in a Pittsburg reference here & there, so the rest of us don't fall asleep.

Hack, out.

PS, I like our local guys, too. Why? We get Kirk Herbstreit!

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I was Jim Rome is Burning on ESPN sometimes. Does that count?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've only seen that show once (as I don't get cable) but the radio show has it's own entire culture.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He says that stuff tongue-in-cheek. I know he sounds serious but he's not. He does that kind of stuff all the time. He actually talks seriously about golf fairly often and interviews golfers.

He makes fun of Nascar too but he has nascar drivers on them sometimes and he gives props to them.

brad cook

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, but Brad, you just don't understand.....he really...really...really hurt me.

:D ;)

this was quite some time ago (prolly about 7 or 8 years ago), so i'm sure my tastes in radio and talk shows have changed since then.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I love when he bags on "Raider Fan"!

HILARIOUS!

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I really, really hate sports talk radio. But I really dig the Rome show. But I really only listen to it when I'm driving in my Mustang, with an am only radio.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He read another one of my emails today.

brad cook

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm a Clone. I don't call in or anything but I listen in the car.

Great show but it takes a couple of weeks for new listeners to understand all the gloss.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    showoff

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Me too.

I loved it when he goes off on Hacksaw too. GOODNIGHT NOW!

He hasn't picked on him in a while.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Signed Darryl Strawberry?

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, today it was signed "Bill Hung" but it was from brad in Waco. The one yesterday was signed "Kaz Tadano" and the one he read from me monday was signed "Steven Segal."
    brad cook

17. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I listen to him sometimes during lunch. I have to be in the right mood to listen to him. He does make me laugh. His take on salesmen always gets me, as I used to do sales and he is right on the mark.
    I really dont like his interviews, he really seems to suck up to the guests, which is strange if you remember the "Jim/Chris Everette" situation.

He is good for a laugh.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Personally, I find him pendantic and formulaic. I've listened to him many times, and his "routine" seems to consist of raising his voice, speaking firmly and confidently without much to say, and repeating the same joke over and over until someone finds him funny. His interviews are soft and pandering, he seems to lack any "real" sports knowledge, relying more on the pop sports info, and seems to be trying too hard. I don't hate him or anything, it's just, he's so boring to me I'd rather listen to dead air.

19. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Me too.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I heard the Bill Hung mail today!