Anyone else living in a flood zone? My bike is a beast!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So you might have seen my old post where I was thinking about getting a street bike?
    Well no more...I love my Suzuki DR650SE!!!
    I live by the water, we have not had floods in 60 yrs. But...the gov't in their infinitely small wisdom has messed with our water levels. It's not nature...its the idiots messing around with water levels.
    My buddy lives on the water and he is finally getting re-built after the big flood two years ago.
    But...its back again this year.
    I am so happy I kept my DR650SE. I can go visit my buddy and the water is up to my tank!
    If you look at the pic, you can see the white fence up and to the left. It gets real deep real fast. I was quite surprised.
    This bike is a beast!!

images.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is the plus side of having to lift your leg up to the sky in order to ride it. That is the way it is with my Triumph Tiger.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I started off lifting my legs, all fun and games, but then it got real deep.
    Up near the exhaust. A bit scary.
    I was working the clutch and throttle pretty hard and my feet were well planted. Wet knees.
    I wish I had a pic of the bike half way under water.
    Its a tank!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. I wonder how close you got to carburetting instant liquid death.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am glad you didn’t get stuck.

6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The air intake is under the seat so these bikes can go pretty deep.

7. No crankcase breather?

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've got something capable (BMW F800GS), but thought twice before going through this flood yesterday (apologies to those who've seen this pic in the other thread). Wasn't too deep but was flowing very quickly.

[​IMG]

But at least I can make it through stuff that my buddies on thier R12GS's struggle with!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    capnjim likes this.
  9. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thats a great pic! That bike looks pretty bulky to be trying that.
    I was considering the F800GS but my DR is just so darn light and I feel so safe on it.

DirtDog likes this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I know what you mean - I rode a KLR650 for years before the F8. But believe it or not those big R12GS’s are fairly nimble for what they are. I spent a weekend on a BMW skills course on the R12 and the F8 before deciding on the F8. Zero regrets. But I don’t kid myself - even though I take the bike on single track, it’s not a dirt bike!

11. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    I built a house in a VE15 flood zone on Mobile bay in Alabama. House was 11' off the ground, dirt was 4.5' above sea level. Can not see across the bay. The water was peaceful. But all the steps, salt air/water taking a toll on everything, paying $4500/yr just for flood insurance, i sold it.... IS2bxn97tu97ut0000000000.jpg ISe8zodikbzr2v0000000000.jpg

MJ5150 likes this.