Anyone else need/want a 1U, 19" Rackmount bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Granja, Nov 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Granja

Granja

Dec 2, 2011
    Hey gang,
    I was wondering if anyone else is "chompin' at the bit" for modern, ClassD/Switchmode powered bass amp housed in a 1U standard rack mount chassis? Like a Sansamp RBI, coupled with the switchmode amp that's in their VT 1000. Most of the new micro-amps come with a rackmount plate that takes up two spaces.

I know there's the Demeter VTBP-201-800D, but at $1700, buying two of those would bust my budget and probably land me in divorce court.

I know its do-able. I just have never had the need or desire to carry my amp around in a gig bag; mainly because I need/want all the rest of the gear in my rack.

eulogy77 likes this.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Just my personal take on this. There are plenty "heavier" (like 15-30lbs) rack mount heads. The big bonus of SMPS and Class D output is light weight and small size. Putting a 5 lb 800 watt bass head in a 10 to 20 lb rack case just defeats somewhat the notion of a easy to carry lightweight amp?

3. B-string

4. B-string

PA power amps, not a bass amp complete with preamp.

5. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I read the OP in haste. Post now deleted [/shame]

6. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Any desire for a ton of watts in a 1ru package, yes. Any desire to replace my 2ru power amp and spend a grand, no, not really.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    This.

JackANSI and rufus.K like this.
  8. Granja

Granja

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. B-String, the new G-K's got past me; the Fusion series looks like a real winner. I assumed they were taller like my two Genz Benz Shuttle 9's. The GBS9's eclipse the 1U rack height so their rack ears make the heads take-up two rack spaces… Ugh!!!

What I'm after is to minimize my total rack space height (Max 8U) and maintain a wet/dry rig, with an IEM system and effects.
    Thanks again, this has been a big help.

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_2825.jpg

Mike in Chicago likes this.
  9. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Those two Shuttles would fit on one 3ru blank, and you'd gain an ru.
    Plus getting rid of anything for 'Gary Vox' may save space too

Attached Files:

10. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Why do I want to cram the designer into 1u? Why not 1/2u and quarter rack width while we are at it eh?

Sleeves off a vest to me - I want a 6sl7 [or some genius making it happen SS] into a rock solid 70v + set of stiff rails and could not care less how high the stack is - or that it wants full rack width - no really - all these format questions are silly ******** by my lights*.
    That said - Nice of you to keep it all under the weight of a bag of concrete if you please :bassist:

*[forgive me Charlie I know you like to squeeze the burn but you rock for other reasons thus your brains are wasted on this silliness IMO - of course you were wasted and trying to find your way home to begin with so I guess that's all sorted]

11. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    They make 1u power amps. Some of them are inexpensive but run hot and aren't great (Stewart World) but the ones that are solid cost some real loot (powersoft, lab gruppen, bryston).

12. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I'd love a full rack class d. I'm still bummed and confused why Peavey didn't do it. They have 1.5 rack amps called headliner. Which is the same as 2 really. So why not just make it 2?

So close. So so close.

13. bevan lurrito

bevan lurrito

Jan 9, 2007
    Bryston... drool

14. +1 drool for Bryston

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Don't forget to leave breathing room...... sometimes you have to leave a space open above the gear that generates a good amount of heat.

SteveCS likes this.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    full?d=1447540268.jpg

I know this is 2U therefore double the size you are looking for, but in its defence it also has analog/digital effects w/ metronome and tuner, headphone out on the front panel and 3 preamp tubes easily accesible from the rear (no tools required to swap tubes) and a line out. All in a shallow rack.

Did I mention It sounds amazing? The Kern preamp is still one of the sweetest units ever made.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    johnpbass and dinoadventures like this.
  17. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    The Demeter is worth every dollar - it's really the one to beat in my experience. Keep an eye on the classifieds and score a used one.

pacojas likes this.
  18. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Any desire for 200+ watts in a 1ru package, yes.
    Any desire to replace my 2ru power amp and spend more than $300, no, not really.

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i LOVE my Stewart World!!! best amp i've used in 35yrs. class H is 1000x faster switching than class D! that alone accounts for something very awesome along the signal path, imo. YMMV :thumbsup:

Nev375 likes this.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Speaking of such things...This showed up in my FB feed a week or two ago.

S.O.S Bass Preamp

Although I have no idea how they're doing a 1U 6SL7. I can't believe there's room to do it.

middy and Foz like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021