1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else never use your bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lia_G, Apr 19, 2006.

1. 2 pickups, use neck exclusively / nearly exclusively

10.4%
  2. 2 pickup, use bridge exclusively / nearly exclusively

7.2%
  3. 2 pickup, mix and match for different sounds

70.9%
  4. 1 pickup, P-Bass position

6.8%
  5. 1 pickup, MusicMan position

2.8%
  6. 1 pickup, Bridge position

0.4%
  7. I have more than 2 pickups -- the rest of you are lame ...

1.6%
  1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Just curious here. I never use the bridge pickup on my Roscoe LG3005, and I just wondered where everyone else was at. I used to use it occasionally, but haven't in years. Same thing back when I had a Jazz bass. I've thought of just getting a single pickup bass, but it would be extreeeeeeeeemely difficult for me to give up my Roscoe, so I bet that I'll just keep the thing cranked over to the neck pickup and play it to the grave ... ;)

Liam

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Last night at rehearsal, I soloed the bridge pickup for the first time, on "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" to distinguish it from some other songs we were doing. I may even do it again, tonight.

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I have to say I'm almost the opposite. I use predominantly the bridge pickup most of the time, although I do mix them depending on what sound I want. Hardly ever solo the neck pickup.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Play a Jazz, and favor the neck pickup most of the time.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I never play the bridge pickup on any of my P basses.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

On my Sadowsky I have 2 Jazz pickups that I run fully together.

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm a pbass player, but whenever I use someones jazz or similar style bass, I always turn off the bridge pickup and set the neck on full.

8. i have a MM pickup in the bridge and a gibson minibucker in the neck, and i use the mm pickup mostly, i will through in the minibucker for more of a dub-worthy sound...but, i do use only the neck pickup on my guitar :)

9. on my ric 4003 i really only use the bridge pup, very rarely do i mix them or use the neck.

and on my stingray well i, use the only one available to me

10. polic

polic

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a Mexican made Fender Zone 4-string (P-J config)...on steroids! I slapped on some Bass line P-Ups and added the Bart NTMB preamp along with a Moses Graphite neck and now it sounds amazing. All depending on what sound you're looking for. I like to adjust the pickups according to the type of music that I'm playing. For Gospel Slap Tone I blend the Pickups, for A Disco sound I max out the neck p-up and for Smooth funky lines I solo out the bridge. But that's me.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm pretty much the opposite. A good chunk of the time, the bridge pickup is all I use.

12. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I have a P/J combo and I almost always use the bridge pickup. I perfer the more trebly sound.

IMHO:
    P's just don't sound 'clear' enough to me, they don't have enough high end for my tastes.

Now if only I had the hum cancelling J's, to me this is the only thing were J's fall short. But since the hum isn't very bad, I'm still very happy with them.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I use nothing but the bridge pickup on my P...

...oh, wait a minute...

14. I use the blend control and set it for "both" or just a tad on the neck side.

I use the bridge setting if I'm using an auto wah. I find that most effects react better to the bridge sound.

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No one else evers uses any of my pickups.

16. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    my old Roadster (P/J) has no blend, but can switch. It gets this great Hohner Clavinet sound when the bridge is soloed.

Keith-- great idea to try the bridge soloed w/ effects.

Voted for both, but I'll still use mostly the bridge soloed. The 12ax7 in my Eden loves it.

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Either both fully on or 60/40 to the bridge. I NEVER use only the neck pickup or even mix it more heavily toward the neck pickup.... seems to really widen the tone and low end, which in my experience means a sloppy, boomy sound out front (assuming a 2 pickup non-Pbass type instrument).

18. I use the bridge pickup, or the two mixed evenly on my LG3005. I use the bridge the most, because I love the punch and low mids it gives. I use them equally blended on quieter music, and very, very seldom, Ill run the neck p/u full on, but thats rare.

19. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I play jazz basses - I used to always have both PUs up full, but have started favoring the bridge PU, more so on my Sadowsky.

20. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    I love the more growl I get from my bridge pickup.