Anyone else not a major fan of wood/veneer finishes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Jul 25, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Not sure if I'm alone in this, but I really find "artificial" finishes much more appealing than most of the natural wooden that I see floating around the forum. I much prefer the sort of design that comes out of places like MM and Ritter (different styles, but you get the idea) as opposed to the particularly complex, often through neck (nasty look in my opinion) wooden finishes...

Anyone else feel like this? :bag:
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    If you mean what I think you mean (for instance, you prefer a Candy Apple Red Jazz to a QMT?), then I'm with you.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Depends. I find a lot of the super fancy woods to be too busy and the painted ones generic and dull. Not to mention a lot of the colours I've seen aren't to my tastes either.
    As I'm getting older I;m leaning towards natural finished ash, wenge and plain/bird's eye maple, as well as your basic black in painted basses. I've always hated tobacco bursts, and most pickguards.
  4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My take on this is that a lot of the really fancy natural wood finishes look gorgeous close to in "white light", but don't necessarily look that good from a distance under stage lighting. Finishes with brighter colours tend to look better under these conditions.
  5. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    As I enter my 40's (ok, two years ago! ) I've started moving away from the natural woods which I use to love. I like the paint finish now. Old school types I guess. I recently picked up a Sadowsky in Trans white and am receiving a Mike Lull P5 in Lake Placid blue w/matching headstock later this week. I never use to like the matching headstock look but now I do. Go figure! The main reason I just traded my Roscoe was because I got tired quickly of the countertop look. Plus my wife hated the looks! She thought it looked like someone threw-up on it! And it did look that way. Hmmm.
  6. I kind of like both, but as a rule I prefer solid coloured basses - not much of a translucent finish fan, generally speaking - or ones with relatively light and plainly, or strikey, figured exotic wood facings.
  7. This is obviously all pure personal taste. I still like the hippy sandwich look to the very high end, very custom made basses (MTD, Fodera, etc.). However, for the Fender type basses like the Sadowsky Vintage, Celinders, Lulls, etc.... having a figured top or fancy veneer looks out of place to me... those type basses seem to have a much nicer vibe with a traditional finish.... more in line with what they are... very high quality J or P Bass inspired instruments.
  8. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    At best, a translucent color over flamed maple. Generally, though, I prefer natural tops to painted.
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, definitely a personal taste thing :D

I really like the natural finish look on basses, especially the better (higher end??) customs .... I love the look of my FBB, just beautiful.....

But I can see where that "natural" look wouldn't appeal to everyone (I had a singer tell me that my bass had better wood than her custom dining room set ;) ). And lately I've started to appreciate the classic look of a nice sunburst, and I've always loved the look of a nice all-black or all-white bass :cool:
  10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    What I can't stand are these beautiful woods being used in basses that have ugly, awkward body shapes. Makes me puke.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I enjoy fancy tops. In the past I've owned some basses that had nice ones, and I have a spalty/quilty one on order. But I like paint just as much if not more.

It's all a big YMMV. FWIW, I've never cared much for untinted transparent finishes, regardless of whether the wood was fancy or not.

Another one of my personality quirks: a dinged up fancy top bothers me, whereas I think paint looks just fine when it's banged around. (I do NOT try to relic my own basses, but stuff happens.)
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think it all depends on whether the look matches the "vibe" of the instrument. I do think that some figured wood basses looks somewhat tacky with translucent colours over the them, "bursts" can really be yucky, but it all depends on the instrument, I've seen some beauties, too. Some basses that have control covers and/or pick guards over figured wood can look like a guy in a Tuxedo with white socks and a pair of Converse, or like one of those Tuxedo T-shirts we all love so much.
    I personally like 'em all natural, just an oil finish. I like the traction I get from bieng able to feel the wood, but that look isn't right for every bass, that's for sure. There's nothing quite like the clean look of a solid colour.
  13. It's up to the individual but I really like natural woods.I don't like painted basses but then again I don't like Fender or Musicman basses anyway. :bassist:

Attached Files:

14. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
  15. I'm definitely the natural wood finish type of guy...

16. Beautiful - how could a thick coat of paint be better than that.
    But it's down to personal taste. :bassist:
  17. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I detest raw or oil-finished wood basses.

They look horrible in a week or so. Filth-magnets, they'll soak up dirt off of you that you never imagined you had.

It's disgusting.

Sealed wood finishes are OK. I have some nice ash Fenders.
  18. Another reason why I like 'natural' wood finishes is that each of my three basses is unique - there is no other that looks like it.The choice of wood also affects the tone of the instrument.I have played two identical models with different facings and they each sound different. :bassist:
    Now a musicman or a precision or whatever all look the same.
  19. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I feel like theres a difference between bass players and guitar players, and the essentials of that difference lie in the role. Guitar players tend to play flashier instruments with sparkly paint jobs and flashy chrome hardware because thats the culture. IMO guitar playing is not the most humble profession. Bass players, however, are definitely the underdogs and therefore the culture has that earthy aspect. I think that especially since the sound of the bass is shaped a lot more by the woods (and in general bass players dont use the same amount of effects and whatnot as guitar players do) and the physical properties of the specifc intrument, the tendency is to be more natural. Of course some basses would just look stupid without paint jobs (like some MTDs and esp the MM Bongo), but I think its more of the bass players' nature to play natural woods.