1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else NOT into lightweight mini rigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rambazamba, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Everywhere I look people praise the tiny class D gear, leightweight neo speakers, their rigs that fit into a handbag. Some old rockers stand strong to their SVT with their 8x10 for rocker reasons. But honestly - isn't there anyone around who just likes a big fat iron transformer and a big bad speaker in a massive cabinet that reeeeally moves some air, that you can physically feel when you play it and handles all the heavy low-end you could ever possibly want? I mean, come on! Who needs that tiny little mini poopie anyway when you can really rattle some bones instead? Just saying...:D

LowHz, Tomsfeenie, Fuzzonaut and 30 others like this.
  2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current or previous endorsements with: GK, DR Strings, Rotosound, EB, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    You just described one of many class d amps

whbjr, Rusty Karoff, Akami and 44 others like this.
  3. That and this...

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  4. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    I don't care. I just don't like them. Think I've pointed that out already. :***:

5. No

6. People take the route of least resistance. Many times in spite of the peril involved

7. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm not into ketchup, mayonnaise and bro country and today's state of hip hop and 90% of cover bands.

8. I don't like mini rigs. I don't like rigs at all. I take my VT: DI I to gigs and run directly into the board, with whatever crapola combo amp the venue supplies as my monitor.

Anyway, OP isn't going to get very far with this one, between the unconscious misogyny-as-wit style of humour and the 'leightweight' (sic) grasp of both grammar and forming a cogent argument.

I'll watch this one sail into murky waters...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Rivoli, Manticore, Akami and 40 others like this.
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Don’t give a hoot n hell what others use or if they approve (or disapprove) of mine. To each their own.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I still have the big, tube Sunn Amps and cabs that got me through many, many gigs with the tone I like. So, yeah, I like big iron.

That being said, I can see, For the many TBrs that now gig regularly, the need to reduce transportation costs(no gas guzzlers, vans or trucks), have no roadies and require one-trip solo load in/load outs, the tiny class d/light, loud and low neo rigs seem to be the way to go.

With the DIs available today, many TBrs just go direct when good PA support is available, by-pass the rig all together.

With Trace Elliot elf, Quilter BB and others producing sub 5 lb heads along with Barefaced Bass, Revsound, Fender and many others now producing sub 30 and 20lb cabs, I would be doing the same so I could have the option of a tiny rig or big rig.

Even now I check out neo cabs that can fit my 22" wide Sunn 2000s head. I think it would sound great and be a good option, especially with the more efficient cabs.

Oh, and with smaller stages, seems to me the need for tiny rigs can make the difference between getting the gig or not, especially if all you have are 8x10s.

Hey, you're using a smart phone instead of a big-iron tower, right?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Dbaalses, zon6c-f, basscapes and 13 others like this.
  11. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Eh. Bigger differences between heads than power amp topology.

blindrabbit, MDBass, smogg and 2 others like this.
  12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    7zkiG.

13. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Yes, I am NOT into them.
    AA389423-D20B-48C0-99B4-467DE233CA22.

LowHz, Fuzzonaut, Ampslut and 22 others like this.
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    If I had a roadie I wouldn’t care but since I don’t its NEO for me. By the way.... my back thanks them.

whbjr, grrg63, zon6c-f and 9 others like this.
  15. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm sure there are many who only like one or the other, or like both, but not everyone plays the same bass in the same kind of band or venues. An SVT at a coffeehouse or a neo 1x12" at a metal concert might be a mismatch. That said, I'm sure anyone would enjoy playing through a huge amp rig for fun at least once... especially if they don't have to move it or buy it.

I have a pair of 39 pound Rumble 2x10 cabs, but I also have an Ampeg SVT-810E. I have a Rumble 500 class D head, but I also have a GK 1001RB-II in a 3-space rack. I've pushed the 8x10 with the Rumble head and the 2x10 cabs with the 1001RB, so it's fun to mix and match. A lot of the newer, lighter, more efficient cabs can bring new life to the classic amp heads and can make them usable in situations they might have been unusable in before. A lot of the newer, lighter, more efficient amp heads can also bring a different character to the classic speaker cabs as long as they can handle the power output.

16. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current or previous endorsements with: GK, DR Strings, Rotosound, EB, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Marshall-MS2R-Mini-Amp-in-Red-Arm-Shot.

Ok... I'm sorry, I'm done trolling I promise!

17. RBJ11

RBJ11 The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Me too

:roflmao:

IMG_1504.

A5BD60E1-7683-4199-B1A9-46FEF172EE7F.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  18. Seems like convenience is the lowest common denominator anymore

Omega Monkey likes this.
  19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If that Marshall outputs at least 500W, I'm ditching my D800 and MB800 heads today!!!