1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone else not like copies??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 30, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    im just wondering if im not alone.im sorry,i just don't like copy basses,like especially fender ones(SX,sadowsky,lakeland,etc.)im sure they are nice basses,but i just don't care for copies,and especially to know that they sometimes charge MORE than the original brand that made the bass look itself.like i dont like the whole idea of how sadowsky wants you to pay $1200 for a j bass copy,when a fender MIM j bass costs between $400 and $700.i know it might make me seem shallow or whatever,especially to know that on this forum copies seem to be pretty popular.but is there anyone else out there that agrees with me? or at least knows what im saying?

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    "Shallow" isn't the word I would use. "Uninformed" is about as kindly as I can put it. If you don't know why a Sadowsky jazz bass costs so much more than a MIM Fender J, you must not have read the Basses forum for more than 15 minutes total, ever. Sorry.

3. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    never felt the need to...never even thought there was a difference. so yes uninformed is very correct. but that wasnt totally the point. the fact of it costing more than a fender was only a small detail that could easily be eliminate.but guess what? it still is a fender copy.i know it has to have a few more features on it.but.it still is a copy.

4. Since Leo was the first to market an bolt on neck Electric bass...isn't every bolt on electric bass basically a Fender copy?

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    not copy - improvement.

6. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    ok. the improvement. is in the electronics.better pups,better tonal range.more versitility. but the body,and look was taken off of fender. just saying

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Some are arguably better, some a lot better. Who cares if the word "copy" applies or not? If a bass it's worth the money, it's worth the money.

If you really need more, read these threads with the exact same theme. There's truly no need to rehash this.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341467&highlight=copies
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163192&highlight=copies

8. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    SX in the same breath as Sadowsky....haha. :p Fail.

Basses don't cost what they cost because of their body style. By that logic, you might as well say why buy a Sadowsky Jazz V for $2500 when you can get a Squier Jazz V for $250? The Sadowsky's not even licensed by Fender :p.

9. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    um no. im talking about other brands that have copied THE LOOK. from the bass. and just meant fender looking copies as an example. gibson has look copies itself as well.and im sure more do. as ive said responding to gregc, just forget about the electronics,tone,versitility.etc. and now im saying,that just forget about pretty much the whole thing except the body design.which has basically been copied..

10. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    yeah i knew that from the start.:eyebrow:

11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I have no problems with copy. If it's the tone and feel I want, then it's worth the money.

I don't mean to sound nasty, but just wondering if you've played any copies to base this opinion on.

12. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    do not forget the chambered bodies now. sadowsky is infinitely better than a fender is pretty much every way i can imagine. sure, fender was the first to introduce the body style at the time AND get recognition for it, but it doesn't mean it makes that design exclusively fenders.

but i digress.. to answer your question, i'd rather have a fender copy in the form of a sadowsky than a fender itself.

sometimes you just can't avoid a good design. but to improve upon a good design makes it great.

13. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Ugh. Internet has been funky. Sorry for my 2nd half of the reply.

I think the body style, if that's what's in question, is just looks that people like. They buy the instrument based on how it sounds and feels. If it has the look they want (Beit fended or other) than that's an extra plus.

14. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    yes sir. i have.thats why i said i dont doubt that a copy isnt a bad bass. and thats the most pleasent comment ive had yet. basically i started another talkbass war with my own stupidity :rollno:

15. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry for that. My internet connection is bogging out. Please see my other post. I, in no way, meant to offend, and I didn't realize the complete topic of the post until after the long wait of my reply being posted. :meh:

16. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008

no you didnt offend at all.but lemme ask you. do you know how to delete your profile?? cause im about point blank from either being the laughing stock of the whole forum or being strangled by them.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm guessing you're what 14?

Your epiphone is a gibson copy by your logic.

18. ivansc

ivansc

Nov 12, 2006
    Yes but you have afforded us all a few minutes of quiet amusement.

How deep DID you dig that hole before you fell in it?

19. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC

Calm down. Everybody makes mistakes and asks questions that seem "stupid" after the fact. Now for the lesson: the OP just begged for a flame war. There a literally thousands of pages on Talkbass dedicated to people who love their Sad's and their SX's. Next time think before you post. Then stop and wait 10 more seconds more. Chances are you will see the inevitable before it arrives. Peace.

20. FortessOne

FortessOne

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, it's very simple. People seem to like J's, and they do buy better/more expensive/custom basses when Fender doesn't satisfy to their needs.

Other people like J's, but can't afford Fenders. Hello SX, what a nice little brand it is.

If you don't like J's, or just J's by Fender, that's where *insert brand* comes in.