1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else NOT mess with their tone controls?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    During shows, I NEVER change my tone. I hit my distortion on my sansamp in one song, but other than that its just on channel 1 which is some sort of SVT type setting.

I have my pickup set mostly to my bridge, slight low boost, slight mid cut, slight high boost... Same settings on my amp more or less, but i keep the mids at 12...

Once my controls are set, thats it. I have one tone for 12 songs.

Sounds just fine to me.

Anyone else like me?

(BTW, i had no idea where to put this.)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I seldom touch my tone controls. My amp never changes, my pedal settings never change, and I generally run my Marcus Miller passive, flip the switch for a bit of a bass boost. That's pretty much it.

3. I don't mess with them besides configuring my amp for the setting I'm in. I do use the pickup knobs, but I took the tone knob off my bass, since it was useless to me.

4. Once I have set the tone controls for the room, I hardly ever touch the amp. More often I will use the tone controls on my bass. I consider myself luckiest in our band. My set up is bass>lead>amp. I run a tuner out of the dedicated returns and can set-up and packdown in about 5 minutes, really.

5. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    On my one pickup Dillion bass:

Full volume, full tone.

The flatwounds on it keep the low end so the full-on tone isn't harsh at all, and it's a comfortable amount of punch that lets me cut through.

6. I find a good sound and keep it that way.

Plug and play baby. Everytime.

7. Volume full, tone adjusted to give me what I need in the room. From there the only knob I touch is the volume on the amp, I crank that up until the front row's glasses start bouncing around.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have a new rig so I have it set flat for now. Sounds fine. I may tweak it a bit for the gig/room but I usually just leave it alone and change my right hand placement for different tones.

9. 12:00 all the way on the amp. Volumes on the J bass full on, tone control half-way.

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Volume and tone wide open, never touch 'em. Tweak the amp occasionally, done.

11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Usually I don't touch it. However, for some songs I'll move the pickup selector from the bridge humbucker to the neck single coil and cut the treble to give a little rounder, more upright, sound, say for a song like "Stand By Me."

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i like my bass and amp all flat. i let my fingers do the talking.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am a knob twiddler. But at showtime, it's pretty much the knobs on my amp, and switching pedals on and off if need be/

14. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    on bass : volume and tone set to max

on amp: EQ is flat, boost control is set to 1 O'clock

i don't touch anything unless it's switching on a pedal

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I generally don't touch them, but I will turn one pickup or the other down sometimes, and if I'm playing reggae, I'll roll off all the treble.

16. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    My tone is all amp. I play through an old Yamaha B100 and a folded horn 12. I play with amp tone and grit and things, but all knobs on my bass are on 10.

17. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I alllmost never touch my tone control.
    I generally will tweak the individual volume controls to decrease either the bridge or neck pickup (to suit the song). If, for some reason, I am totally unhappy and can't get the tone right, I may, but this is almost never. I am usually happy!