Anyone else on this board play Ampeg and is proud of it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Besides myself, of course......

It's just a non-stop barrage of EA, TF, QSC, Aguilar, SWR, Ashdown, Mesa, AccuGroove, Bag End, Epifani, GK, Avatar, Genz Benz, Schroeder, Carvin, Berg, Sunn, Eden, Hartke, and the like........

I did a forum search, and came up empty for anything serious.......

Any bonafide Ampeg lovers here?

SVT-4 Pro, BXT210M, BXT115HL is the main output on my rig.

Anyone else dig it? Or have I just missed the boat?

2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    dude, i dont think anyone really likes ampeg stuff. they had those one things...the svts? i dont know. the old ones are pieces of crap from what i hear. you're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone around here especially that likes those...except for me of course. i've quite fond of my svt-cl and 8x10. but i think you and i are alone on this one.
  3. I had an SVP-1600/SVP-Pro, with a PR410HLF years ago and switched to an Ashdown ABM 500 and ABM 410. I ended up switching BACK to the Ampeg after 2 years of Ashdown, to the eventual rig you see above.

It seems great, for me. I don't really have access to all the "great" amps and cabs that everyone gushes about on these forums. I've played Top 40, Jaco jazz, B.B. Blues, Classic Queen, and Kyuss stoner-rock on this rig. It just plays great! I can't understand why more players on this board won't play Ampeg. I feel like maybe I'm missing out?

Should I feel slighted or "put off" by the fact that I'm a working bassist faithfully playing Ampeg, and enjoying it?
  4. Nah. I don't think what other people play through really matters. Its all about carving your own little sonic niche. I'm into tube heads and 2x15's, that works for me. You dig Ampeg and that works for you. In the end that's all that's really important.
  5. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    I really feel that all the "has anyone tried so and so amps"
    and all of these designer boutique amps discussisions are people trying to find a substitute for the SVT.The SVT is the benchmark for all other amps.It's the industry standard for a reason.

One thing I could never figure out though.
    Why did Ampeg quit making the SVT, only to start calling everything they make a SVT? In the early 70's they had severail models of amps and cabinets but only one SVT.Now they're getting ready to release the SVT VR."Just like the one from the seventies".I don't understand.
  6. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    My dad used to have an SVT tube head that was killer, but it was also heavy so he sold it. I use an ampeg portabass 12 cab that rocks and is super light. My amps a fender bxr though.
  7. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey guys i'm new to talkbass but if i can throw in my 2 cents on ampeg!!! I think they rock. I have a SVT 4pro and it sounds glorious
  8. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    I was wondering if anyone could help! I have a SVT 4pro and i think that it might be two much power for my cabs. I'm running a 4-10 ampeg classic series cab 8ohms and i'm biamping my hartke 2-15's and for some reason i get this this ugly farting noise when i turn up the highs like if my horns gonna pop and that's because my horns off on the back up my cab. Does anyone else have this problem? Please help..
  9. im not a fan of Ampeg SS heads, have yet to properly try an all valve SVT, but I do love how they sound for other people.

Didn't really dig the 4x10 I tried a while ago, but I freakin' LOVE the 8x10 Classic cabs all the studios in my area gots these days. So hawt with my Trace on top! :bassist:

A fridge will be in my future!
  10. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    I also forgot to mention that that farting noise only happens when i play my bass. I heard that all cabs make this noise with active basses? is this true?
  11. TJ,
    if your playing an active bass, good chance your input signal is too much. Make sure you're using the active input on your amp or turn on the pad switch.

the pad switch is just a signal cut, which is usful for instruments with hot outputs.

If that doesnt work, whats your biamp set up?
    SVT -> 4x10 line out from SVT to Harkte -> 2x15?
    aAlso, there are quite a few Ampeg fiends on TB, specially for the valve amps. Most people tend to find their SS sound great, but don't deliver live.
  12. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    Right now i'm running my ampeg full range and i'm biamping the lows through my hartke. i'm running them both to my ampeg SVT4 pro. I've tried using the pad switch but then it won't be loud enough. I'm going up against two other guitarist and there always loud.
  13. try running bpth cabs at full range, and also check your EQ.
    Perhaps having all of the lows is too much for your 15s and causing the farting.

Also make sure your not throwing in too much Bass in your EQ!

Are you using two heads? If not, i didn't know you could run the SVT stereo... If you're only using your SVT4 could be a LACK of power on your cabs...
  14. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    hmm..awesome dude at first i thought it was because it was to much power i never thought since i was running both cabs it might be not enough. and theres a button on the back of the amp that lets you switch between mono and stereo mode man. there's a lot of stuff to that amp.
  15. should've mentioned earlier:
    if your amp doesnt have enough power, the clip light will come on when your speakers farting.
    if its too much power, you'll be clipping without your warning light on...

although really, with a 2x15 and 4x10 you should be smoking... :meh:
    My 280W Trace powers 800W fridges with a ton of headroom to compete against a loud drummer and loud guitarist...
  16. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    my ampeg cab is also 8ohms and my hartke is 4ohms that might also be a reason. i think anyways why my cab is farting. sorry i forgot to mention that earlier. We just got finished playing at a gig. and i used a SWR 550x through my stuff for tonite only to see how it will sound and it never farted.
  17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a 70's SVT with the 8x10 cab. Sold it 20 years ago. Still crying acting so stupidly.

Can't wait until the SVT-VR pops out in the stores.
  18. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Ampeg SVT-200t
    Eden 210T
    Eden 210XLT
    Spector NS-2a (with new EMG electronics and Tone Pum pre-amp)
    great sound

19. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i dont use an ALL ampeg rig, but i have some ampeg equipment that i love.

FWIW, i think having all of these brands to choose from goes a very long way to showing how many choices we bassists get to enjoy. think about the poor guitarists who get Fender, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie crammed down their throats everytime the open a guitar magazine or walk into Guitar Center. :)
  20. tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    i love ampeg gear. i'm running a svt4pro into an svt810e and love it. but just as codeYbassboy said that's what works for me. it gets the job done for and provides the sound i like, for others my rig might sound like crap, but i love the sound. it all depends. personally i like ampeg because of the sound and reliability. it all depends on what gets the job done for you.