1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else own an Ashdown MK500 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by far0n, Apr 11, 2006.

1. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Don't know whether it's just me but the harmonic emphasis control appears to cause a lot of high frequency feedback if I stand too close to my cab. Anyone else experience this ?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not experienced this, but I do know that the Harmonic Emphasis control really changes the nature of the tone, IME. It might be that you have some feedback that is just under control with the HE off, but when you turn it on, that frequency pops a bit more and causes the feedback. What gain settings are you talking about here? I have not gigged with my MK500, but I have had it pretty loud through a couple of different cab combinations, and it sounds great to me (and I normally run with the HE on, and set about 40% up).

Tom.

3. I own one, but I never use the HE live and rarely at home. I've never experienced the same issue.

4. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    I do use a compressor which I suppose could be making the situation even worse. Also it only seems to be doing it with one of my basses. So I've figured out today that it must be my Lightwave Classica that's the root of the problem. Seems a very weird problem to have with an optical pickup bass. :meh:

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This can happen if you are using a little to much treble from the EQ setting and your Bass or a combination of both and if that is the case once you engage the Harmonic Emphasis button that will just boost your treble and if you are standing to close to the rig with your Bass you will indeed get mad feedback,try playing your Lightwave Classica with the cool/warm tilt switch set to warm instead of cool because using the cool switch will add more treble to an already hot head and try it with the Ice tone(piezo)Blend not set so high as well.Remember this amp was designed to have a little more brightness in it's output to begin with,and compression is not the problem at all because compression dull highs down allowing the highs output to be a little more even overall and if you use to much compression it will choke the life out of any sign of highs there is.