Anyone else play like this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Austin7, May 6, 2001.

1. Austin7

Apr 22, 2001
    Rock Rapids, IA
    I play with my thumb on the pickup. Anyone else? If not, where do you play?
  2. i usually rest my thumb on the E string.
  3. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    If I'm playing the E my thumb is on the pup
    If I'm playing on the A my thumb is on the E
    If I'm playing on the D my thumb is damping the E+A, or is playing the E or A kinda spanish guitar style

If I'm playing chords I might be using my thumb to pluck the E or A string.
  4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    if I am using a pick, my pinky seems to rest on the bottom of my g string...if I am using my fingers, thumb is generally on the pick or occasionally on the pickguard.
  5. yeah, i play that way, unless i wanna play something really trebly, then i play near the bridge and float the thumb.
  6. nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    If i'm using my fingers it's on the but if i'm using a pick it's not.
  7. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah, I play with my thumb on the p-up, unless it is in use for something else.

I used to put it on the E string when I could, as some of the others in here do. But we play some fairly hard music, so when I did this I went through E strings like crazy, they would usually break on the hit of a song, (if the hit was on a string other than the E) so I quickly got out of that habbit. I guess the added stress on the E was just more than it is designed to sustained over a long period of time, so bummer.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    When I'm doing staccoto fingerstyle and want a really gravelly sound I do.. Other times, when I really need speed, I keep my thumb on the side of the neck and play up by the frets.
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I play like this when my thumb isn´t floating..
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My thumb mutes all strings lower than the one being played. It simply floats and rests on the unused strings. Best way to go.
  11. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I use my b string but I dig holes in the bass.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Yeah, my thumb never moves from the neck pickup.
  13. Rest? Heck no! I use my thumb to play. It hardly ever rests.
  14. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I normally play like that but if I am using a five or six string I like to rest my thumb on the B string when I reach farther across the neck.
  15. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    That's how I usually do it too. But sometimes when I'm playing on the G-string I'll rest it on the A.
  16. i personally put my thumb on the neck pickup, but do what's comfy for you. i will never let another player, save the late jaco, tell me the "right way" to play bass. playing is all about developing style and feel, so if what you do doesn't severely hinder you, and it sounds good to you, then screw everyone else. that's how it is. us bass players are a needed resource, so we're the ones with the upper hand. a band that'll kick u out for how u play is stupid.
  17. I move my thumb to the string below whatever I am playing.. for me it helps me have an even attack on all strings and it helps muting A LOT.

It feels really natural to me.. I began playing with my thumb rested on the pickup or E string, but I can't even bring myself to do that anymore.

Every once in a while I will pluck with my thumb.. especially if I am palm muting. I might use it to strum a chord if need be, and my thumb is in the right place. And I also slap with it, but that's not important to this topic.

I don't look on pickup thumb resting to be a bad habit. It's just a matter of what you are more comfortable doing and what works. (I've seen articles that adamantly declare that there is one right way to do it.. nothing infuriates me more than that).
  18. i used to play with my thumb resting on the pick up. now i rest my thumb on the fret board and play with my fingers very close to the fret board (basically on the fret board) to get a sort of geezer butler sound. wiht the right settungs and technique, you can get a geezer sound too!
  19. sanitymw

Mar 28, 2001
    I rest my thumb on the pickup nearest to the neck.
    When using a pick i just relax my arm on the body.
  20. thumb on the pickup for the e- string
    thumb on the e- string for everything else