Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone else played a sukop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnA, Feb 11, 2001.

1. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    all i can say is 'wow'

if i were getting a highend jazz / jazz copy i'd probably still go sadowsky... but my new favorite 5 string glam wood bass is now the sukop 5 st. played 2 in the last week and they were unbelievable. apparently they're made in NM, and i hadn't ever seen them until the last week or so.

anyone else played one ? your thoughts?

2. PaulErik

PaulErik

Apr 3, 2000
    New Jersey
    I recently had the opportunity to play several Sukop basses, and was very impressed. Beautiful to look at, nice necks, great sound. However, they were way out of my price range($2500+!). But really nice....if anyone is in or near northern NJ, Victor's Music in Paramus has several Sukops for sale. (These are the ones I was fortunate enough to try) Worth checking out, if you've got the cash.

-Paul-

3. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    I played the 2 5's in victors just friday, and then played 2 more in my local shop (NJ Guitar and Bass) yesterday. I really liked them!

4. Are Sukop's the basses with the large 'S' in the headstock ? I'm seeing a lot of these lately.

5. LvHooters

LvHooters

Sep 20, 2000
    guitarasylum.com has em...Nice pics too...Beauty's
    I can only DREAM!

6. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    http://www.sukop.com

apparently they're all made by steve sukop (by himself) of NM.

that's all i know so far..

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played several...very nice basses but something always keeps me from crossing that line into actually buying one. I'd need something that would fit in a niche my other basses didn't cover and that just didn't happen.

I'm also torn over that headstock. I know that may be shallow but aesthetics has also kept me from buying a Linc Luthier :)