Anyone else quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    New years resoultion is to quit smoking. This would make try number 4.

All I can say is that I am irritable, unable to concentrate, and generally miserable. I guess it's supposed to work out in the end, but for the time being it's killing me. I never thought that second hand smoke would ever smell so good, but it does.

Anyone else in a similar boat?
  2. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You might check out NJL's "I quit smoking" blog in the lobby. You might find some encouraging words there :)
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I quit last May!!! Bought a Stambaugh to celebrate!!

4. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Probably my seventh try.. Think I might make it for real this time. If I can make one year without I will buy myself a nice present for reward.

Hang in there, and smell good.

5. I quit smoking for the last time June of 2001. I had a two-pack-a-day habit, and I had quit several times before that. The whole thing about giving up cigarettes is attitude. It's all a mind game. You really have to WANT to quit, or it simply will not work out. The way I see it, cutting down, patches, gum, and other stop-smoking aides just prolong the agony. I always quit cold-turkey. It helps to have a reason to quit, which, in my case, was the birth of my son. (he made me quit some other bad habits as well)

It should be easier in this day and age, since smoking has become such a pain-in-the-arse, and is so costly.

Once you decide you absolutely no longer wish to be a slave to the tobacco dealers, just stop smoking! Don't finish the pack or set a date, just don't smoke anymore. If you have secret packs around the house, throw them away, they add to the stress. As you know, there is the week of hell, followed by the three weeks of coughing up oysters. But, every day gets easier, and if you really wanted to quit in the fisrt place, it soon becomes a non-issue.

Eventually that second-hand smoke will no longer smell good, it will reek!

The only problem I have now is that I am a bar-band type musician, and the second-hand smoke bothers me. I never realized how bad the smell was before. But, To this day I never desire cigarettes.

Remember: It's all a mind-f@#$! Don't let it beat you, take it one day at a time, and I wish you the best of luck!
  6. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    My guitarist just quit, right before Christmas. He looks like he's suffering pretty bad, he says his mouth waters when he smells second hand smoke, and he has some trouble concentrating, but he has my full respect for what he's putting himself through for his own good.

As a non smoker, I have no idea what he's going through, but he looks like he's in pain.
  7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Ehhm, i just started (started 1year ago and stopped, now i started again).
  8. I've quit seriously twice before and had extenuating circumstances as to why I started smoking again. Each time was around 6 months. I'm a knob to begin with and take away my nicotine... :mad: I will quit, but it'll be on my terms.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    check out my thread jive!! it just may help.....

this has been the biggest for me:

think day by day.....don't think "let's get through this week or month" by day is the way to go, imho

the first week for me was hell, but now i feel really really great (i'm still fat, if not fatter now :D ).

guess what? tomorrow will be my 1 month mark - no cravings - no cravings....for me they ended at about the 1.5 week mark...

jive, also remember that this is hard to do, it will take help from your family, co-workers and friends (when it comes to your co-workers and friends, this will be a nice little chance on who really cares about you! ;) )

my last it cold turkey!!! the withdrawls are the shortest with this approach (patch takes months and you feel like #### for months, etc.)

remember, i'm only a PM/IM away (i'm on aol, yahoo and MSN)

10. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Funny that you post this... I just recently quit, and I wanted to get something for myself in celebration...(PM returned about the SX :) ). It gets much better after the first few days, so hang in there. I feel so much better these days - I don't miss the cough or sore throat one bit :p . I still can't say what I ever liked about it, and the smell is becoming less and less appealing each day (many of my friends smoke.)
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is another way to do it too!!!

jive, you can have mark buy you a new bass! :D
  12. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Hi Guys N' Girls,

Just wanted to tease all of you becoming non-smokers.

I've didn't make a newyears resolution to quit smokin, and I haven't smoked a cig for 4 days :eek:

Well I might enjoy one tomorrow :spit:
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Let me tell you why I quit smoking. I started at 17 and I was a big smoker. I watched myself and I concluded that I was smoking a cigarette every 40 minutes. I quit at 25. That was almost 13 years ago. It seemed an impossible task to me, but I remember that day when I went to my cardiologist' office for a control because I was diagnosed with a MITRAL VALVE TELESYSTOLIC PROLAPSE :eyebrow: :eek: when I was 12. He asked me if I was still smoking and I said yes. He didn't reply anything and proceeded to the exams. When done, he told me: "Look: If every person who comes here had your health, I would be broken. I need sick people. Not people like you". After leaving my doctor's office, the first thing I did was (guess) light a cigarette. Later that day, at nighttime, I was smoking and looked at the cigarette and thought: "The doctor says that I'm so fine and I'm poisoning myself just by pure pleasure. That's absurd. This is my last." and squashed the butt against the ashtray.

I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. Usually, every time I ate something, I had to smoke. The best dessert for lunch was a cigarette. My mood was having a bad turn (so irritable!). I felt as if the cigarette was a very close friend that I didn't want to leave me. BUT I DID IT! That was my last cigarette. After almost 13 years, I still consider that as one of my biggest personal victories. The only drawback was the I gained like 40 pounds, but I could recover my normal weight (without smoking) in 2003. Another victory! You don't need gums, patches or whatever "gadget" available to quit smoking. The only thing is JUST DO IT if you want. I can tell you about that.
  14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ummmm... Let's talk about this, guys...

15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow, thanks for your insight!

16. A friend told me about a book: "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allan Carr. The author is a former 100+ cigarette per _day_ smoker! He says to feel free to continue smoking until you finish the book. No gums, no patches, no cravings, no weight gain, etc... well, I'm reading thru the book (about halfway so far). It's not a big book, should only take a few evenings of casual reading to finish. We'll see how it goes.
  17. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Hang in there Jive1. All good advice. It's been six and a half years for me, hard to believe I've made it that long.

FWIW I used the patch. It really helped me with the physical aspects.

Just try and take it one craving at a time. You can beat it. :hyper:

Funny Story. After quitting I was driving home one day from work. It was winter and was at a stop light with the heat on full blast my car window wide open and holding a piece of pretzel in my left hand like a cigarette. Definitely a physical as well as psychological addiction.
  18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

They helped me immensely too!!!
  19. I've had 6 month success with one or two days of the patch and then cold turkey combined with cardio excercise like running or biking so you can FEEL a difference everyday.

I quit again last night after about three months smoking (after the last 6 mo free). This time my girlfriend and I are doing it together, not the case last time.

This morning I felt like a total drug addict, chills and clamy, couldn't beleive it. Lots of water, lots of herb tea and this afternood I"m feeling better.

We should have a TB stop smoking support group. So hard for musicians!!!

Think about the $5 (or more) a day you're saving and at the end of each month or week for that matter buy yourself some music toy, a pedal or new strap or somthing that the money is better spent on. Or really save the money and buy something big. I got my POD that way!
  20. what to do, is to get a pack of cigs, and leave 'em in the window of your car, exposed to atmosphere, so they rot a little.

after 2 weeks without smoking, light one of those up. see that? thats what you're putting your lungs through. thats what you're doing to your children, friends and family.