Anyone else re-evaluate their amp settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I just sat down with my rig and worked out a whole new setup for it. Before, my overdrive was a little muddy. So, I redid it and it sounds beefier. My Distortion sounds better too.

Basically, my graphic EQ now does and upside down smiley, but with the middle slider at a 5db boost above flat. My low shelving is at +3db, my high shelving is at -3db. Bright and Punch buttons are in.

Also, excuse the bad playing, i have a 1/4" gash in my middle finger right now, and my Elastoplast isn't soaking up much of the sensations :D.
  2. how did you record that??? what setup do you have...and what sort of didstortion is it????

i like the sound. by the way did the bass have newish strings on it?? it sounds as if it did.
  3. OK, first my signal chain:

Tanglewood Rebel 4K w/ DiMarzio DP126 pickups->Boss LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer->Boss OC-2 Octave->Ibanez PD7 Bass Distortion->Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus->Peavey Combo 115->Line In

-5db @ 40Hz and 10Khz
    Flat @ 80Hz and 5Khz
    +5db @ 160Hz, 550Hz and 2.5Khz
    +10db boost @ 340Hz and 1.3Khz

Bright and Punch buttons in - Bright = 8db boost to treble freqs, Punch = 8db boost to midrange

Strings are 2 months old. Need to roll off the treble with new strings. They're DR Lo-Riders, .50 .70 .90 .110. In that file they were tuned CGCF, but I tune em DGCF too.

Basically, the DiMarzios add a Punch factor that just kills guitar amps, and makes the distortion really crystal. It makes the PD7 shine.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sweet! Oh to be young and playing heavy music again...

P.S. I constantly reevaluate my amp settings.
  5. so in that recording is it just the distortion on...or is the limiter/enhancer etc.. on aswell??? thanks
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, now my signal chain:

Lakland 55-94 w/Barts ---> Eden Traveler ---> Eden cab(s).

EQ: flat
  7. It's all on. Want settings?:

LMB-3:Enhance @ 10 o'clock, Ratio at 10 o'clock, Threshold @ 10 o'clock

OC-2: Direct @ 2 o'clock, Octave 1 @ 10 o'clock, Octave 2 off.

PD7: Distortion channel, Drive @ 10 o'clock, Bass at 12 o'clock, Treble @ 2 o'clock, Attack @ 0.

CEB-3: Low Filter @ 12 o'clock, Ratio @ 3 o'clock, Depth @ 10 o'clock.

If you want a recording with just the distortion, post back here.
  8. Hey, I've only got four effects. Someone like Dirk Lance from Incubus has a custom MIDI switcher for all his pedals. As for the EQ, well, I'm glad you've got an expensive rig :rolleyes:.
  9. yeha i would be interested in hearing the distortion by itself, and not with the enhancer or anything else on thanks
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well...I don't use any effects.. I might be grabbing a compressor here pretty soon though.. But I always adjust my settings... depending on where I am and what not. The room I've been keeping my rig all summer for some reason won't let me get the tone i'm looking for.. but if i take my rig else where... it will sing.... oh well..
  11. gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    could you put some up without the distortion? I'm thinking of getting those dp126's so it'd help me out, thanks.