1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else rock a 210 standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Jul 9, 2014.

1. I'm very fortunate to be in a band where we have our own sound man and PA support at every gig; this has allowed me to scale back on weighty cabs (a welcome thing in my early 60s). I currently run a Hartke HL500 through an Avatar Neo 210 (44 lbs.), and I couldn't be happier with the tight, focused, and--yes--loud response. It is a little low to the ground, but when set back alongside the drummer, I have no problem hearing it even in an eight-piece band. Used to have a 212, but at 77 lbs., it didn't seem nearly as clear and punchy. Avatar seems to have a really great product and for not an arm and a leg!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    maestrovert likes this.
  2. There are a couple guys running 210's like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Have gigged a single 210 many times. I used to do it with my old Eden 210XLT. Same as your situation, in that band we always had good FOH support. I got the lows from the FOH subs so that allowed me to EQ my cab for more mids to cut through on stage.

4. I am actually thinking the same as you Orpheus and I am only 28 years old. I used to think bigger was better (and sure sometimes it can be) but my back, legs, arms and not to mention wallet didn't always agree with me there either. I currently use a Trace Elliot Series 6 2x10 combo and although still a bit of a rock it is a lot easier to load in and out and maneuver then say the 134lb and bulky Mesa PowerHouse 6x10 cab I had before (although I really loved that cab). I have been fortunate to have PA support as well everywhere I play either mic'ed or through DI on the amp, however if there ever comes a time where I consistently start playing shows where PA support is not offered then I could see myself adding another 2x10 or 1x15 cabinet below my combo, but right now I like the having one trip to load in and one trip to load out.

5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I'm 57 (3 knee surgeries) and recently went to the new Fender v3 Rumble 2x10 500 combo. 36 lbs of pure power and tone. I do have an extra 2x10 if needed. I have used it stand alone and it handles the job just fine. But we have an awesome foh pa and no problems getting heard or felt. It's 350 watts without ext. cab. It;s really amazing how good this sounds. And how light it is :)

6. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use a Hartke XL 2.5 with an LH 500 head in small venues. Medium halls get the HyDrive 115. Big halls get both.

The 2.5 provides great flexibility.

7. Having a good FOH support system seems to be the key. Given such support, I have even used my SWR Workingpro 12 combo at many close-quarter gigs. I'll bet that Fender combo rocks very nicely. Sure cannot beat the weight!

8. Sputnik Monroe

Sputnik Monroe

Feb 11, 2014
    Well two 1x10s stacked ... Most of the time without FOH in small clubs playing straight ahead blues ... Never had an issue being heard.

9. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    It's my standard setup. TH500 with ACME B2. Given that I only play small jazz rooms nowadays it's still huge overkill, in fact. For the noisier stuff I have 2 Avatar 1X12's available.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Gigged an Eden 210 xlt with an Eden WT400 for years. Always got tone compliments and I never once felt like I was lacking in the volume/power department.

johnpbass likes this.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Bergantino AE210 does just fine in most of the venues I play. However I can always go to the CN212 for bigger gigs - it weighs only 47 pounds.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't always do it, but I run an SVT 210av by itself on some of my gigs.

Bassfiction likes this.
  13. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    I've run a BFM Jack 210 stack before, and now that is the cab I leave at my rehersal space. Holds up fine against a 100w 4x12 gutiar amp. It's still an under-appreciated design around these parts.

maestrovert likes this.
  14. Lately I've been using one of my Ampeg SVT-210HE's, powered by my Ampeg B2-R head and SVP-PRO Preamp.
    Plenty loud enough (200 watts @ 8 ohms) and sounds great.
    My 810 is now gathering dust :)

15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

I have an older 90s-era USA Ampeg 210PRO. It looks exactly like the old standby 210 Classic but can handle more power and it a bit punchier. Love it. My main stage cabinet.

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does anyone ever put 2 separate 2x10's on opposite sides of the stage? I've heard it sounds incredible out in the audience.

rickwebb likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It can also cause destructive interference resulting in areas of the stage and crowd that hear lots of bass and areas that hear very little bass.

maestrovert and jjk2007 like this.
  18. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Agreed! A band I've played in for several years in Boca Raton uses a 2x10 on stage, slightly hidden beneath one of the three keyboards. One day on our first sound check we knew something was bad wrong. Someone had disconnected the line to the PA. Those subs in the FOH make a big improvement in medium sized rooms with a 2x10.

19. i use a Carvin BX500/BRX10.2 rig (cab vertically oriented)....works for me.

20. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I usually use an EB Musicman Audiophile 2x10 for smaller clubs.