Anyone else seen this doc? So! Why do YOU do this?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Neil Martin, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Neil Martin

Neil Martin

Oct 28, 2017
    UK
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    The wife and I watched it a while back and we both enjoyed it.

Neil Martin likes this.
  3. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I love the beginning of the description.

Neil Martin likes this.
  4. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I think most of us can relate to this video. It brought back memories for me.

Lots of stories on the road over 45 years, I should write a book really.

We were travelling home fro a gig up the coast, it was cold, raining and it’s 2am.
    Two cars, one of them a Ford Laser hatch, which was behind me.

Suddenly we see a wheel overtake us and a whole lot of noise and sparks from behind. The wheel has come off the Laser.

We backtracked and searched for two hours for this wheel, borrowed one nut from each of the remaining three and finally made it home. Soaked, tired and cold but we made it!

5. Neil Martin

Neil Martin

Oct 28, 2017
    UK
    Love it!

6. I have stories from my 10 years as a road dawg, good, bad and a few ugly. They are going in my book.

7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Well, if getting on an airplane counts, then I've been on tour. We flew from Hartford CT to Grand Junction CO to play two nights. We were hired by a couple who'd seen us in Connecticut, liked us, and had more money than sense. The venue was a large farm outside of Ridgway, which was two hours away via rental van. We stayed the first night in Grand Junction at the Grand Vista. There was an acoustic act in the lounge, which included an appearance by a Rod Stewart imitator. The trouble began when Drummy, who never drinks, decided to start pounding down Fireball miniatures. We're at 5,000 feet, so he got smashed fast, and started shouting "I MET ROD F*****G STEWART!" over and over again. We had to put him in bed, and he was still repeating "Rod F*****g Stewart!"And, of course, we just sort of took over the acoustic guy's gig. He didn't know what had hit him! We bought him many drinks.

Next day, we drove down to Ridgway, which was at 7,000 feet. We were there less than 6 hours before guitarist Dr. B's nose began to bleed. It bled the whole time we were there. Next day, the sound guy showed up. We hired him because he was cheap, and said he was cheap because we were going to be his first rock band client. Setup and sound check took SIX HOURS because all his stuff was not just new, but new to him.

On the first night, we all found out how hard it is to sing at 7,000 feet. I couldn't sustain a note if my life depended on it! And Dr. B, who sings lead on half a dozen songs found he couldn't really sing at all. We got through it, but it was not our finest hour. Oh, and did I mention the skies were full of smoke from California wildfires (this was early August 2018)?

Next day, we took a field trip to Telluride (we actually got to see a Sight) where the Connecticut band members had the thrill of buying their first legal marijuana products. Late afternoon, a miracle happened: a husband and wife team (bass and guitar, respectively) that we'd known back home showed up. They'd driven five and a half hours down from Evergreen to see us. We decided they could be an opening act, and afterwards they joined us on stage to help out with vocals. Saved the damn day is all they did!

Our BL got her own bedroom--with a view! The rest of us slept on cots in the dance studio (I told you they had more money than sense) and it was a good thing I had good earplugs, because every night was a snore-fest.

When we finally got home--after a lot of drama with our connecting flight at O'Hare--we were dead tired but still functioning.

Now here is the odd part: We all thought by the end of this we'd all be at each others' throats. Didn't happen. Wasn't a great time, but it was a good time, and we all had a lot of laughs together. PS: When we totted it all up, we figured it had cost our hosts about $10,000, just to hire our stinky little bar band. As I said, more money than sense.

Drummy finds appropriate seating.
    IMG_6402.JPG

Arriving in Grand Junction
    IMG_6409.JPG

True enough!
    IMG_6432.JPG

Our sound contractor. He was...optimistic.
    IMG_6434.JPG

Doin' it.
    coloradoband1.jpg

Crowd thought we were OK!
    coloradocrowd.jpg

Looking for lunch and weed shops in Ouray (20 minutes south of Ridgway) with our buddies James and Wendi.
    band with jamie and wendi ouray.jpg

And our BL saw this crosswalk, and we just had to do it. redheadabbeyroad.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Neil Martin and JRA like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It really wasn't "touring" except for the plane part. We had actually entertained the thought of renting a bus and driving out there, setting up some gigs along the way. Our hosts told is we were out of our minds and bought us plane tickets. They were probably right.

JRA likes this.
  10. Great doc.

Camaraderie is my reason.

Bunk McNulty and Neil Martin like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Crowded and desperately stinky van rides from Atlanta to LA and Vancouver and NY were not as cool as they seemed.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022