1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else stuck watching "Downton Abbey?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ugh.

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I'm not ashamed to admit I watch it. It's basically a soap opera with very high production values. I do think Season 3 is leaning toward being a great looking but predictably melodramatic snoozefest so far though.

3. I like almost all UK dramas and comedies.

4. Downton Abbey is one of my favorite shows and I am not ashamed to say that. It has great writing and acting. Yes, it is slow moving, but it is great. Season 3 was fantastic, can't wait until season 4.

lowsound

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My wife has been a fan since the beginning, and this seaon I decided to join her. It has taken me a little while to figure out who the characters are, but I'm enjoying the story. The production and acting quality are hard to ignore. I'm most amused by the snipes, jabs, and other sarcastic one-liners offered by Maggie Smith's character.

6. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Yeah, I like it too.

7. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Nope, I'm good.

8. I like anything with Maggie Smith in it. She's awesome. :)

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Nope.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    My wife loves it. Fortunately we have more than one TV.

11. I watched it with my wife last night. What I gathered is that bad things happen to poor people and good things happen to rich people unless they are acted upon by poor people. All staring the cast of Harry Potter.

12. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Watched it and fell asleep. Too slow for me. :D

13. I love it.........Gives me time to practice my bass playing without the wife jibber-jabbering at me.

14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    My mom likes it.

15. I don't watch it. However, I do enjoy listening to Craig Ferguson and Geoff Peterson talk about it, as part of a comedy bit, on The Late, Late Show.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I am never "stuck" watching anything. My wife and I have our own TV's, and if we watch a show together, it's because we both like it. I used to have a girlfriend who insisted I watch crap I didn't like with her, and after a very acrimonious split, I decided I was done with that forever, and I am.

17. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    My wife and I watch it. I like it. It's much better than 95% of the garbage on network tv these days. Maggie Smith's character is awesome.

18. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Nope, and I don't miss it. Don't care for that kind of show.

19. I too really enjoyed the first two seasons. Visually amazing, good acting, and decent story line.

Started watching Season 3, and both my wife and I are 'done'. +1... story line has gotten old and schmaltzy.

20. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I'm sorry. I think Mr. Bates is really a murderer....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021