1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else sweat acid bullets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Put a fresh set of medium EB Slinky's on before a show, played hard, rocked out, and the next day they're totally dead. So dead they sound like flats.

Craziness!

2. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Are you washing your hands after that burger?

You could use the old Steve Harris Talc trick, the same as rock climbing, you dip your fingers in chalk to dry them out a bit and take some of the oil out of your tips. Or maybe just a bad set.

My sweat is pretty stingy but it's never killed strings that fast?

3. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Man, that sucks. Try putting some talcum powder on your hands before gigging and wipe the strings after.

4. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Youre surprised thats happening with EB strings?.......lol

5. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Great tips.

A friend of mine suggested Cleartone strings. He's had a set on his bass for about a year and they still have a good amount of zing in them. They'll be here soon.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I put a set of regular slinkies on my bass at the beginning of practice, and at the end, completely dead.

7. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I used Elixir for a while, they're really good as well, a little brighter than the cleartones.

8. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Yup, I had that same problem with several brands but Slinkys were worst for me. Under my hands they wouldn't last through the second set. I finally found that DRs work best for me.

9. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I've had pretty good longevity with DRs on my guitars for an uncoated string, havent tried a set on bass tho.
    Cant stand any polymer coated string myself, but they do work as advertised.
    I have a set of chrome plated Optima (of gold fame)strings coming in, the only one of it's kind and quite expensive even here in europe. I've heard some rave reviews about how they keep their tone even after worn in and even sound bad before being worn in.

10. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Same here, but for me it works! I can get a set of Flats worn in in about 3 days, with all the sweat.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    If you ain't sweatin', you ain't rockin'!

12. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    had this identical problem for years - spent a fortune on new strings since i love the zing of new strings. needed a new set every week or two. I actually needed a new set after one gig but put it off as long as I could to save money.

learned about denatured alcohol several years ago and now go thru maybe 6-8 sets a year. Life is much better now - though I'd love to find a set that was impervious to my sweat.

Has someone with this extreme case of string-killing sweat tried Elixirs? Haven't gone there yet but I'm thinking about it.

13. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I have the same issue. I had an Ibanez soundgear with elixirs..... for 3 years.. no joke. Still sounded 80% new. If you can get used to elixirs they really did work for me.

If you play acoustic guitar at all you must check out D'addario EXP strings. From what I heard the difference is that D'addario coats the bare wire and then winds the string which allows it to sound more like a normal string..... Elixir makes a string then coats the whole thing which most think takes away from the tone.

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The biggest issue at-hand (no pun intended) is why you're not a millionaire rockstar with enough techies to replace your strings after every song.

15. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    I had this problem for years. Im now spending a tenth of what I was on strings due to Elixirs. Theyre expensive for one set compared to others, but you dont really EVER have to change them. (pick players beware the coating can come off a little in shavings around where you contact the string, but they still sound great!)

Im pretty much sold on Elixirs for all roundwound duties.

16. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    This guy?

AlienMonster.

17. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I for one am waiting for an update from you on this. I've got the order page bookmarked for these strings - just waiting for someone like me to confirm that they sound good and last long!

18. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    So far they definitely sound good. I've noticed a little less zing than a regular roundwound, probably due to the the coating.

An update will come on Nov. 13th, the day after my next gig.

19. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    I am a perpetual sweater when I play and I am very acidic, so much so that I can kill a pair of Nickel Rounds in just a couple of hours.....No Joke! I used to change strings every week or I was guaranteed to break a string on week 2, even if I wiped down my strings after I played.

About 8 years ago I switched over to Stainless Rounds.....I easily have tripled the lifespan of a set of strings under my fingers by doing so.

I tried the Elixers and I personally don't like the feeling of coated strings, just my prefference.

+1 on the denatured alcohol, this trick can breed new life into a set strings.

20. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Update: Played a show on Friday and Saturday the Cleartone strings were completely dead. Unbelievable! I'm getting really bummed because a new set of strings for every show is going to cost a small fortune!

Which stainless strings should I give a try?