1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else that can admit to being musically sexist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Anaughtybear, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anaughtybear

Anaughtybear Guest

Apr 3, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    First, let me state that I do not intend to bash anybody for their sex or sexual preference. I'm a straight guy, but it does not matter to me at all if you are not. I am just wondering if anyone has thought about this subject in an objective way. I have some theories about myself. I hope you find them more humorous than hurtful.

I have nothing against female musicians if they deserve my respect musically. Tal Wilkenfeld is pretty, but she is also good. Try to name some famous ladies that are not good looking. There aren't that many. Music is about looks, and I think that is wrong. We are probably missing out on some amazing material, because an agent didn't think someone had "it".

My other thought on women is about rock & roll, and might get me a little more derision. To me, women really haven't gotten their heads around rock music yet. It was invented by men, about women, and women haven't truly come up with a quality version yet. Rock is by nature sexist. I know there is Heart and various others, but again, mainly lookers that might have a decent male backing band. Those that aren't the eye candy are usually token bass player for a group that thinks that it makes them cool or whatever. Those women often have a Sid Vicious level of musical understanding and talent.

Maybe it has to do with people subconsciously taking male voices more seriously. I don't know. Perhaps as a bass player, I gravitate towards lower frequencies, and women's higher voices don't sound right in the song to me.

As far as gay musicians go, I only care about two. I think Queen and Elton John are massively over-played. I cringe every time 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'We Are the Champions' plays. Again, it doesn't matter what they do with their junk, but it seems like their music itself is gay and I don't like it. I know that is a weird thing to say, but if you're going to assign gender to music, Elton John and Queen make the most flamboyant tunes there are. Music comes from who you are, after all, so whatever you are into is going to show in your music. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' has damn near everything jammed in there. I can't concentrate with all the flair in that song. If I wanted to listen to opera instead of rock, I would. That song is an attempt to drive a record player to suicide.

It might have nothing at all to do with sexuality though. I love Judas Priest, and how did we not see that coming. Turbo Lover? Come on.

I have a weird thing with assigning sex to music now. It seems natural, as it is aimed typically for one or the other. It definitely applies to "straight" music more. I don't wear women's underwear, and I don't listen to Def Leppard. I think that is saying the same thing twice there. There is no way they should be considered a legitimate rock band. They were simply applying Bee Gees logic of acting/sounding like women to get in women's pants.

All bands that were considered heavy in the 80's and 90's had to have a power ballad, and that is what they are mainly known for. Obscure difficult songs for dudes, easy crooners for the gals.

Here in Fargo, we have a radio station called Popster. It plays everything and ranges from pretty decent 80's classics to absolute garbage. I was asking my wife why it was sucking so hard a while back and she said something that I thought was brilliant, and got me thinking about this whole mess. She said, "It's not for you. This is a women's station".

It had never occurred to me previously that music was not intended for everyone equally. I just thought some of it sucked. I guess that it is like certain foods. I hate mayonnaise, so I don't expose myself to it. Now if the media would understand that and stop forcing Maroon Five on me every time I step outside, I'd be grateful.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Maybe you're just plain sexist.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Cool story bro

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Wow. Great first thread, chief.

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Er...good luck with this...

6. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    This isn't going to end well.

ETA: As a female, the amount of generalisations in the first post makes me repeatedly facepalm.

7. Maybe?

8. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    "What's wrong wiff' bein' sexy?"
    -Nigel Tufnel

9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I actually listen to a disproportionate bunch of female bands. I don't think any male group can come off as aggressive and sincere in doing it as the riot girl movement of the 90s. Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, L7. Its some great stuff that sounds sincere. Even though some of it I can't relate to I still love it.

10. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    The first response that came to mind would probably get me banned, so I'll just sit here quietly while I get my head around the concept that I don't understand rock and my only hope as a musician in that genre is to become good enough and be pretty enough to be someone's token bass player. Gee, thanks.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    meh, this probably wont go well...

12. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    .......?

13. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Stir the pot, man...stir the pot.

14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    What Eric said in the dog thread.

Btw, an unusual choice of username for someone with such draconian, outdated and quite frankly ridiculous views.

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Let me just say this.........

I'm openly part of the LGBT community.

I play in a sucessful rock band.

I wear women's underwear and clothes.

Enjoy your time here on talkbass.

16. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    You should try on women's underwear....at least once in your life. Hell man, live a little.

17. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I noticed that I have a disproportionate amount of man-made music (musicians/singer being male). There are a few women I like but I happen to have way less of their music.

I always that was because I prefer men voice but you might touch something about the good looks, maybe there is less women overall in music because they get filtered by sexist music industrials ? Maybe I'm not moved by women poetry or theme as much as men ?

I would be curious to know if women tend to listen to more women made music.

18. I can agree with part of what tycobb said. I don't think that aggressive music is something that's purely a "male" thing, what bothers me is the constant sexual pandering in music. What I want is a well-written song that I can either dance to, relax to, or listen to and analyze, but what I DON'T want is tons of artists - male OR female - who seem incapable of writing a song about anything that isn't sex/love/infatuation related. I recommend checking out L7, heck, even the horrorpops, hellcat and the prowl, cerebral bore, and maybe even some of the creepshow might help to change your mind.

But yeah, if your only music exposure is to stuff on the radio, I can see where you're coming from. When I was 16 I thought the same thing, then I started listening to the creepshow's first album "sell your soul". If you want to hear something good and different, your solution might be as simple as turning the radio off.

19. Music, like food, is intended for everyone. It isn't natural for everyone to LIKE EVERY flavour.

Respect people's opinions and their right to have tastes in food and music different from yours.

I can think of plenty of people of either gender, of any sexual orientation, famous and non-famous as well as infamous, of disparate attractiveness, all who are fantastic musicians of differing ability levels, styles, vibe, feel, colour, tone, maturity, age etc.

Don't have kids.

20. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Off the top...........
    Andy Fraser of Free - Great bassist, openly gay.
    Dug Pinnick King's X - Great bassist, openly gay.

You've never heard of Joan Jett?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.