Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone else that thought that they....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 2, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    would never be able to play a 5 string and when they did it was perfect and everything just fall into place?

i love it...i didn't think i would but wow!!
    now i want a six...a cirrus..or a grind

how are the grinds?

thanks
    steve

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i pretty much had the same experience, till i switched back to the 4 for a gig. my world got a little topsy turvy and i had axe the 5. too much thinking for me.

i'm a purist when it comes to this stuff though. anything jt can do on 32 strings, i can do on 4. just like the way that sounds, however untrue it is. :D

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Betcha can't!! :D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. I bought a five back in the late 80's, had a Warwick like baseball bat neck, that was also really wide. Had a small body, and tremendous neck dive. Worse than a Thumb.

It nearly ruined my left hand. I got to the point where I was in pain pretty much all the time from playing it. Finally sold it to a pawn shop.

I decided that I was a four stringer, and always would be.

Fast forward 6 years, Guitar Center had a Ibanez 6 for $699, which was an unheard of price for any six in those days. Pulled it off the wall, played it, and fell in love. It was so comfortable! Bought it and gigged with it the same week!:D

Anybody can play a five, six or whatever. You just have to find the right one.

I now play 4, 5, 6 and 12 stringers.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I never really understood it, steve. I've offered my fivers to very proficient 4-stringers who said, "Oh no, I just don't think I'd know how." Maybe I just have tunnel-vision because I've been playing for so long, I just see the extra strings as offering 5-note choices you didn't have before.

The key, for me anyway, has been knowing how to use the B string sparingly for max emotional impact.

I think those intimidated by the "extra" strings are looking at the instrument as an entirely "new" instrument instead of looking at it as just the traditional 4-stringer with a very few additional possibilities.

Actually, I think more strings can allow one more freedom of expresssion. Then again, a 4-string is only "confining" if the player doesn't have imagination.

6. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I wanna go to a 5 but I dont know if I'd like it much since I havent yet found a 5 with comfortable string spacing (Washburns are too tight, as was the OLP 5er I tried.) are 6es generally better or worse when it comes to string spacing?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You might try a Lakland Skyline. I can slap my 55-02 silly.....and I don't consider myself a very good slapper compared to the competition at all.

8. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    The number of strings on an instrument never really gave me problems. Far more important to me is the feel of the neck. I've played some 6-strings that felt more comfortable to me than some 4-strings. (I don't like chunky baseball-bat-like necks.)