Anyone else think Huey Lewis and The News was nothing more than a bar band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rocmonster, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    I mean all they played were covers of Huey Lewis songs!?!!!

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    ...and from what I've seen, I believe 'em.

wasn't "the News" the backing band on the 1st Elvis Costello albumn?

3. Bar bands don’t sell 10’s of millions of records.

selowitch, mikeyjm2, Mpike and 22 others like this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think he was way more than that!!

MonetBass, andruca, Bioflava and 9 others like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think they were great. The band has always been tight. Huey is losing his vocal chops though. I saw them in the mid 80s and again last year. Huey had to "edit" a lot of the vocals to go lower.... kinda sad to watch. But the band was still killing it.

They have always been a throwback band. Even when they were new, they sounded like an old soul band. But, if you listen to the lyrics, that was kind of their shtick. They often lamented that music was losing its soul. They even did a throwback covers album.

I would love to see a tight horn band with a charismatic front man in a bar. So, if they're a bar band, take me to that bar!

JimK, stubborne, Keyser Soze and 39 others like this.
  6. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Yes, they called themselves Clover - performed behind Elvis for his first album I think.

rufus.K and TN WOODMAN like this.
  7. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Large venues and stadiums usually sell beer, right? So very, very good bar band?

8. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    colorado
    They were playing the bar next to the one we were playing in Colorado Springs and invited our lighting guy to set in with them on harp. Down to earth and tight band. They were big on mtv back in the day. They had a niche.

9. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    When I was away at college during the early ‘80’s, there was this bar in town known for two things: a generous happy hour, and Huey Lewis cover bands. One night the cover band took a break between sets and someone in the crowd played “The Heart of Rock and Roll” over and over for 20 minutes until their return.

Good times...

the harp unstrung and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    They were a great bar band that had a very smart manager!

the harp unstrung likes this.
  11. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Hadn't seen this one. Just watched it. Good stuff.

FunkHead likes this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    They never played Mustang Sally, so not a very popular bar band, I'd guess. :laugh:

13. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Nope.

14. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    John McFee (guitar), John Ciambotti (bass), Sean Hopper (keys) and Mickey Shine (drums) were the members of Clover that played on Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True. Of those four, only Hopper joined The News.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    JimK, GregC, slagheap and 9 others like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Great band, great music, great musicians. Best live rendition of The Star Spangled Banner I ever heard. Huey also seems to be a very genuine guy - has gone out of his way to keep the band together. I met him a few years ago at a meet and greet a few years ago before a concert. He went out of his way to speak with everyone - didn't just phone it in.

16. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I don’t see an awful lot of bar bands writing great original songs that play that well together, with top-notch horn parts and background vocals done in real-time with no help from a Mac. Not many could set their instruments down and do it acapella, either. I’m either going to the wrong bars or there’s a disconnect here as to what a bar band is.

Standards were higher back when Huey got started and they were still clearly ahead of everybody else back then, too.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Socobass, MDBass, smogg and 9 others like this.
  17. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    Yeah, but what a bar band.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i like 'em.

19. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

Coincidences are so interesting. I haven’t put my iPod in my car for months, then yesterday I decided to. Took a short time to charge and the first album I played was Huey Lewis, then I see this thread.​

At the least they’re a great bar band, but in my opinion they are much more.​

20. skygzr

skygzr Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Huey scored a perfect 800 on the math part of his SAT. That alone makes him a Righteous Dude.