Anyone else think my dad is full of $*@!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 8, 2002.

1. My dad tries to convince me that there is a write way and a wrong way to write music. I said "It's not like you can make a computer program to anylize music and tell if it's good or not", and he says there is. I know that it's entirly possible to write utter crap, but he says that the Beatles were the best band ever, and "it's a fact". He's serious. It's a damn opinion. Not a fact. If there was one way to write all good music, then that would mean everyone would like the same music, and it would all sound the same.
  2. there is no such thing as " good " music.. it's a matter of taste.. what one thinks is good music, another one might want to burn ritually and throw at the trashcan..

it's 100 % objecive.. :)
  3. He's wrong, obviously. But let's leave it at that. I've had to deal with this sort of people, "I'm right. Ah! Zip-it! Sush!". Besides, he's your dad. Unless you want your own Nu-Metal band, I suggest that you chalk this one up for old age. If he brings it up again, just go "Yes, daddy". :rolleyes:
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Rule #1: Until you're paying your own bills, Dad Is Always Right.

Rule #2: If Dad is wrong, see Rule #1.

Your Dad is right about one thing though, the Beatles were the best band ever. :D

My Dad doesn't hear music the same way I do, and that's why he likes classical and I like bebop, rock, etc. There's no accounting for taste. If your Dad doesn't already know this, you'd better learn it quickly!
  5. HA! That reminds me of the dad from the Committments. Am I the only one who saw that movie or read the book?

Dad:"Elvis is God!"
    Jimmy:"I never pictured God snortin coke and havin a beer gut!"
    Dad: "That's f****** blasphemy!"

It's a great movie about an Irish soul band. You guys should watch it.
  6. my dad plays bass
    once told me about a band called rush
    another time told me about a band that opened for rush called primus
    my dad is always right
  7. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The difference between a good music and bad music is good taste. :D Even though I'm really into pop-punk right now, I agree with your dad. The Beatles were the greatest rock band ever. Zeppelin could give them a run for the money, though.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

*Cartman voice ON*

Yer Dad kicks a$$!

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I believe there is a definite formula for writing music that sells, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good. Your Dad is entitled to his opinion, even if it is wrong. ;)

EDIT: Typos! Arrrrrrgh!
  10. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    i don't wanna sound like the korn fanatic but all your guys' dads are cool if you can talk music with them.
  11. To me art is interpretation but then some music isn't art.

Like has been stated I think it comes down to personal taste. This doesn't mean the artist(s) in question are not talented or possess good technical skills.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a long discussion (can't rememeber where - but maybe on the DB side?) where some guy was saying that he was studying Musicology at University and that he could analyse music and tell you objectively what was "good" music and what was bad!

So he reckoned, for example, that you could prove that Classical music was "better" than Jazz or any other music!

I'm sure Chris Fitzgerald will remember this - I think Chris definitely proved the opposite! ;)
  13. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :D YEAH!!! That was a great movie ("royed sally royed") funny thing is the lead singer Andrew Strong was a year behind me in school and I met him one summer and asked him what he was doing and he told me he was in a film about an Irish soul band, of course I taught he was talking out of his ass....a few months later The Commitments came out....did I feel stupid.

(by the way Andrews dad, Rob Strong is a fantastic bassist as well).

You should check out the (unofficial) sequal, its called 'The Snapper'....not much music but plenty of the Elvis loving Dad :D

"what'd Evel Kneivel want?"
    "He said God sent him"
    "On a f****** Suzuki?"

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Well, your Dad should realize that this is his opinion as you do. But, from the standpoint of a Father (Me) who's trying to get a 13 yr old son to realize a few things about music....maybe he's trying to do something you don't realize:

My son, like millions of other kids, thinks that the only criteria for "good" is that he heard it on the radio or it's popular with the other kids. I'm trying desperately to get him to think for himself and ignore fashions and trends, etc. So when I hear him listening to things I can't stand (most any of the current Pop/nu metal like Creed, 3 Doors Down, Staind, etc), I usually tell him I think it really, really sucks. What I'm trying to do is get him to defend his choices so that he'll think about WHY he likes that opposed to "it's cool" or "everybody listens to it". If he can give me a valid reason for being into 3-chord noise, then so be it.

Then later, when I'm listening to something I like, and he perks up and asks "WHAT's THIS?" (this actually happens a lot), I take the opportunity to tell him who it is and WHY I like it. He understands most times. Even once is progress.

My goal is to have a kid who's well-informed musically and has his own mind. I believe I'll do that...he's already got a much more open mind than most of his friends.
  15. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Ick, creed.:eek:
  16. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I saw a short piece on two Russian scientists, who analyzed popular music, and believed they had developed a formula for popular music. With it, they hired a songwriter to write songs, based on the elements they identified, and recorded them. When they played the songs for a test audience, they liked the songs, but didn't seem to be overly excited by them.
    To that end, "YES", there is a right and wrong way to compose songs, but knowing how to work the intangible and emotional elements beyond the architecture of the song is where art and brilliance come in. While some people may argue that The Beatles were the greatest band ever, and I'm one of the agree-ers here, I don't think you can argue that they didn't know how to write. Time has stood on their side.
    Simple concepts like a central theme, a recurring hook, and harmonic vocals have worked for centuries in all styles of music - even improvisational jazz recognizes these elements at some point.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Growing up in England in the 60s I must say that I got heartily sick of the Beatles and "switched off" every time they were on the radio/TV. I must say that I preferred bands like Led Zeppelin when I started listening to music and still listen to them occasionally now.

I don't hate the Beatles as much now, but their music still doesn't do much for me apart from the odd song here or there - I just find them vastly over-rated and see them as the "boy band" of their day and crassly commercial.

I find McCartney's writing at worst twee and at best overly sentimental - I would always prefer John Paul Jones as a bass player! ;)
  18. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Musically or lyrically? ;)

I can agree with you to a point, and I can definitely agree with you about John Paul Jones, BUT Sir Paul did a lot of nice work pre-Wings. "All My Loving" is almost a must for any budding bassist/singer.
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    f&^% you, you f@#%$%^ f%^$#$!!! :D:D

Best insult ever. It is a great movie.
  20. But that's not me. I happen to dispise those bands you mentioned. I have my own tastes.. and not too many people I know have even heard of the music I listen to.