Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else use distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 17, 2003.

1. I like to use a bit of distortion when I play, just enough to dirty my tone up a bit. It works great, and alot of times people think it's my natural tone, and are suprised when I tell them I added distortion.

Anyone else do this? Just wondering.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Have been known to do this, check the FINES thread in Bass Humor

:ninja:

you know who,,,,

Hey, it sounded great at the time!

Edit:

It's like taking you pants off, why say no!!!

Edit2: FOXEY !!

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Sure, If it's called for! Don't want to over do it though!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use a little distortion when I play my 12 string.

I have a patch set up on my Peavey BAM combo. Ampeg SVT overdriven pretty hard, 810 cabinet with tweeter:)D) and a little flanger. Sounds great with a 12!

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i dont mind it for certain parts of songs but i cant stand it all the time.. to me it just sounds terrible if you arent playing a style that distortion suits.. it can sound cool at times though. (JMO) :)

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I dig it. At the RI get together I was jammin my arse off on some distorted fretless, and that was fun. I usually don't use it to dirty myself up, because I can't get it to not sound so in-your-face distorted.

7. That's the trick. Just enough to dirty it up but not too much that makes it sound all fuzzy and crap.

8. shouldn't this be in my forum? ;)

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just a tad overdrive sometimes to make the sound interesting. No so much that you really hear distortion, just some added "crunchiness".

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right you are! Here you go.:)

11. :D sometimes its nice, but its al about how it effects your sound. i get very picky with distortion. i like distortion to add more definition to notes, to avoid sounding dull and "__________" you know, blank. i think it has a lot to do with what distortion and how you set it up.

i personally find it fun to sometimes crank the distortion to around 9. go cliff burton. get a more guitar like distortion, especially with a wah, you can pull out metal guitar solos, but with the balls of a bass.

12. I use some distortion (actually more like fuzz) for a few songs that I play with my youth group worship band. I use it with auto-wah on one song.