Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else use the XP300 SpaceStation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bound, Dec 12, 2005.

1. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    I don't see too many around, and I was wondering if any of you guys have used one. I've got one and love it, even though most of the settings don't seem to be too useful. Lot of fun to mess around with, though.

2. Yeah I used to have one, great sound, the tuner is a little odd. The reverse alone is worth it's weight in gold. :) The string thing sounds are cool too, I just wish the presets were tweak-able.
    I seem to remember getting a good resale value on the Bay.
    Dirk

3. i'd love to try one...i've heard nothing but good things...does anyone know how it compares to a lexicon vortex (which i assume to have similar effects)?

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I dunno about the xp-300, I've always wanted one, but I do have the Vortex. It is cool but complex. I like this kind of toy but I had to do a lot of work to figure out the footswitching and morphing functions. Unfortunately, I just play in a normal cover band so I have no use for all of these cool effects. But, if the xp-300 does the same things in a simple footpedal, then I want it even more!

5. They are very different beasts, but kind of in the same ballpark as far as wierdness goes. Both great but very different. You can actually tweak and store on the Vortex. If you like one I can almost say that you'll like the other.
    Dirk

6. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    I've got a vortex, too. If you can get a hold of the manual, that thing can do ALL sorts of things that are way off the wall. The Space Station is very different, though. I'ts got synth strings and ring modulators and pixelators and weird resonance thingys that make your bass sound kinda like steel drums. The resale value on ebay seems to be more than the original price. Not too many out there, either, from what I gather.

7. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    HAH!Dirk, I just noticed your avatar, I play Warr, too. I got one of the last 12 string Raptors. Love that thing.

8. lets go back to the spacestation please ;) I want to hear more about the crazy sounds you can get out of this thing. Bill Laswell used one from what i remember.

9. SpanishHarlem

SpanishHarlem

Nov 29, 2005

XP300 Sound Sample Guide

10. wow...those are pretty crazy...i wish there were more effects like these out on the market...

11. SpanishHarlem

SpanishHarlem

Nov 29, 2005
    There's lots of great tools for noisefxckery - ring mods, ibanez pm7, alesis ineko + modfx, reverse delays, feedback loops - but rarely in one handy package....

There's a guy on guitargeek that mods in the cheaper XPs (like the modulator and whatever the reverb was called) into something he calls the XP1000. It's the sounds from all four of the XP pedals in one unit... I haven't tried one yet, but for about $150 it's alot easier than tracking down a working XP300

12. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Spanishharlem, thanks for that guitargeek mention, I checked it out. I'm going to get my Xp200 modded, so I'll have a backup space station, or one for each output of my Warr guitar.

13. aren't they on ebay as well?
    still 150 is pretty good

14. SpanishHarlem

SpanishHarlem

Nov 29, 2005
    I think it's closer to $160-165, but still sounds like a steal to me. I think they are available for sale through ebay...

I've got a XP200 sitting around. When I have the cash, XP1000!

15. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I scored one on ebay a little while back and while I like it, I'm not sure I'll keep it. The string swells are sweet and I like the ring mods and pixelators but they're not much good for anything more than making noise. The bypass is awful, very noisy. It's noisy when engaged in the volume pedal mode (uneffected signal) as well. It's fun to mess around with though.