Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else using a Demeter Preamp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i've been having some clipping issues with my VTBP-201s and wanted to know if any other 5 string players have the same issue. seems like i cant turn up my baby past 9 o'clock without some farty buzz. is this normal? is the gain/volume that hot to begin with?

Elrick 5 string w/flat active pre, Demeter VTBP-201s, Stewart World 600, Bergantino HT112.

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I usew Demeter same like you without any problem what soever, it is a great preamp, I use it with PLX 3402 and Waynejones, I prefer that pre amp than my Aguilar DB 680

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey Johannes,
    Please send me an email and let me know how you like your Wayne Jones cabs. Are you running them stereo with the 3402?
    Gantt

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm using the same Demeter preamp with a Hafler Pro5000 power amp. I have had no problems. The low input is for active basses. There is also an internal volume trim, but I've never had any reason to use it.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Joker -

Sorry to hear you're having a problem! I'm using the HBP-1 myself, which is essentially the VTBP-201s that you have, with a 2-band parametric EQ added. I had some hissing issues with mine at first, because I was using the "passive" input with active basses, once I solved my cranial/rectal inversion and plugged in the correct input, no problem.

If you continue to have trouble with it, gimme a call at the shop, and I'll get you in touch with Jim Demeter, get the whole thing sorted out.

6. I've got the older 1.5-space version, and never got any distortion with it, even with a very hot active 5 plugged into the passive input, unless I cranked the gain up to 3 o'clock or so. (Yuck! Demeter distorion does _not_ sound like Ampeg distortion...)

I'm sure Gard will get things straightened out for you. The Demeter circuit seems fairly simple and well-built, so the only thing I can think of is a tube that got damaged in shipping or something, but what do I know?

Mike

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all!!!

thanks to everybody for the responses. dunno what it is with mine, but funny enough, i'm not having these problems with my new Aguilar GS112 that used all day gigging today. actually, i'm TOTALLY lovin' my tones with the Aguilar. it might even edge out my beloved Bergie, but we shall see. ;)

basuki,

funny you say you like the Demeter more than the DB680. i have both in my studio for whatever the bassists wanna use, and yea, i like the D better too! my tone just gets better and better with each button i push! :D Jim really took the time to see which EQ sounds best set where. The dood's a tubey Einstein!

but i gotta admit, the low mids you can dial in with the DB680's parametric is pretty infectious! The tone's so punchie and clean, slap bass is suddenly like a contact sport. ...har har har... ;)

Gard,

i did that too, and used the passive thinking the active side might have had a "pad" type thinger on it like Aggie's stuff do. but the hiss was annoying, and quickly rectified that prob. btw, i tried lowering the internal trim on my Elrick's onboard EQ, and its helped, but now my output is a bit low for me and for my other preamp's. oi...

Turock,

as for that "internal volume trim" thingy, on the one page "manual" it mentions the trim, but doesnt mention the volume knob, so i just thought it was referring to the knob. anyone know how i can get to it and where it is inside?

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This is from a review at the Demeter site:

That is really all I know about it. I have never been inside mine.

9. ntistt01

ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have the Demeter HBP-1. I first was using a QSX RMX1450 with a ACME Low B-4 and was clipping all the time. I upgraded the power amp to a RMX2450 and the clipping went away. I've now gone to the Aggie GS112's. Life is good.

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I had a Demeter pre. I was having some low volume distortion when I would turn the pre up. It turned out to be the input jacks. The Demeter bass pre has two inputs, one normal gain one lower gain. When you plug into either of them the 1/4 jack trips a switch to "turn off" the other input not being used. What happend to mine was the switch was bent out of shape causing some static charge from the metal rubing together when my cabinet shook. (Crest LT 1000 bridged thru an Epifani 4x10) I replaced the distorted input jack and that fixed the problem. First off I call James Demeter and talked with there tech guy. We trouble shooted until this solution came about. They are very helpful, you should call.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

very interesting dan. i did give the shop a call and got Phil on the line. he said that first i should try out a tube swap that they're sending to me for free! so cool. but while i'm in there, i'll take a look at my switch and see if things are kosher as well. thx for the tip.