Anyone else using a vintage amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philbiker, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My "big" amp is a 1967 Fender Bassman (blackface). It's been modified to have a three-prong plug and had recently been biased. I use a modern speaker cabinet, an Eden D210T (ol' skool Eden with the white logo). I really think that I get a very nice sound out of this combination and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Also, the last several years I've avoided using compression with my basses, I am trying to get my playing skills to the point where I can completely control the dynamics of the instrument. I simply plug my bass into the Fender, with a speaker cable, and there you go.

Anyone else using vintage gear? Tell me about it!
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Does an early '80s G-K head qualify? :D

It was built before a sizable percentage of TBers were hatched. Damn, I'm starting to feel old!
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to have a 70s Ampeg V4-B but I sold it.
    ..still kick myself for that.
  4. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got a '73 sound city 200-watter and a '72 SVT.
    Vintage gear is cool!
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a '70 SVT and '70 810 cab about once a month. Nothing else even comes close to the sound. But I ain't keen on hauling it much more than once a month!
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Late sixties/early seventies Selmer 100 head
    2 Vox 4x12 Cabs.
  7. '76 SVT baby! It's the holy grail of bass amplification!:D. It sounds amazing and it guarantees that no guitarist is going to beat me in a volume war! :eek: :p
  8. How can you date those Black feaced Bassman heads? I have one and am curious as to what year it is.
  9. 68 bassman head and cab. (pre cbs chassis) love to get 4x10 cab for it and see how that works
  10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Acoustic 150b circa early 70's. Just got it fixed and back up. Just got a SWR WM 2X10T, and looking for a SW.
  11. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    64 Jazz Bass and a 65 Fender Dual Showman with an Eden 210xlt....IMO.. For a small gig ya can't beat this combo. 85 watts of nice warm tone.

For medium gigs I break out an Aguilar 359.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know, I got mine from my brother. He also had a silverface '68 also, which I had for a while. Exactly the same amp different look.

Andy, your rig sounds familiar! :)
  13. to date the 60's bassman, look for green serial numbers stamped inside. do a search for vintage amps and you'll find a site dedicated to old fender amps. they have all the listings, good luck.
  14. I recently got an early 70's V-4 and 4x12 cabinet to serve as my new guitar amp, but the head sounds great for bass too through a 1x15. Just put a new set of JJ/Tesla 6L6's in it. Haven't had a chance to crank it up yet, but if it's loud enough, I may get rid of my Mesa Buster combo.

Blackface amps are fairly easy to date. They were only made from late 64 through late 67. If you pull the chassis, there should be a serial number stamped somewhere near the tagboard. Some where in this number should be 64, 65, 66, or 67.

Check here for more information:
  15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well my amp is 5 years older than me, a McGregor Bassman 200W...

I suppose you could say I have an old head on young shoulders. (sorry).
  16. I just looked up what year my Bassman was made and it is a 1966. I was wondering are these considered vintage and valuable or just considered old?
  17. A 1966 bassman head will sell for around $400-500 at least thats what ive seen. black face may be more than that. not bad all things considered.
  18. 1966 is blackface.
  19. true, a '66 IS a blackface, however some of the numbering sequences that fender used were sometimes less than reliable. also the resorces that are available may be less than accurate. btw, i have a silverface 68 and it still has the pre cbs chassis. i guess my point is that none of the tracking systems are written in stone, so to speak.
  20. Yeah my Bassman is a black face. I stated that earlier in the thread. Sorry for not including that when asking about the 66 they are one in the same.