Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else using an old GK 410B cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 12, 2005.

1. I've just recently started to get back into playing bass guitar (been doing the lead guitar thing for years) and just put a rig together. I found this old GK cab for $175 at a local store and I must admit that I'm pretty shocked at how good it sounds!

I compared this cab to a few new Ampeg 4x10" cabs and the GK Backline 4x10" cab and this old GK has much more "thump" (pun intended) to it... I emailed GK and they told me these were considered great cabs back in the day and are still in use by quite a few folks today.

Anyone else using one? What's your opinion? I think it sounds great, but it's ugly as sin. :)

Chris

[​IMG]

2. By the way, here's the rig I just put together. I think it sounds fantastic...

[​IMG]

3. Hmmmm, guess not. Man, I can't find another soul that uses or even knows anything about these cabs. lol... Well, besides GK support.

Chris

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Except for the blue trim at the top it looks very much like a GK 4X10 I used about 12 years ago for a couple years. No tweeter and rated at somewhere around 300 watts. I had the 4 ohm version with a GK400RB head. Nice sounding rig at the time. The cabinet was a bit low on efficiency so I traded it for 2 Yorkville 1X15 cabs as i was doing a lot of bigger rooms then. But it had a nice warm sound that worked well for 4 string at moderate volumes.

5. Cool info! Yeah, the GK support guys told me the following about this particular cab:

"You have a 410B cabinet. Considered a very good cab in it's day. Still considered a good cab today by those who use them.

They were:
    - manufactured between 1985 - 1990
    - 320 Watts into 8 ohms
    - made of solid core 7-ply alder
    - approx. 65 lbs."

It sounds pretty good from what I can tell!!! Haven't used it with the band yet, but I will soon.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, that's the one. I bought mine about 1990 I think. It was a nice match with the GK400RB. Enjoy it. It should have plenty of bottom with the added 15 cabinet.

7. Thanks! The 410 cab by itself actually surprises me a little bit. It has a pretty "punchy" tone to it. I think I could probably use it alone (without the 115) for small gigs and be happy with it. I just have to crank up the lows more on the head.

Chris