Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else using the same strings for four years?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    I play a Fender Duck Dunn P bass from 1998 that still has the original strings.. They sound great and I was wondering if I'm the only one here to use the same strings for four years.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    probably not, someone recently was saying that having to change his strings after 1.5 years was way too quick...

i change mine every 4 months or so..and would more often if i had the bling-bling to do so.

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I have had the same set of roundwounds on my jazz bass for 2-3 years now. Ijust changer them to a Rotosound "Jazz Bass" set of flatwounds the other day.The old strings seemed OK to me until I put on the new set. The old set didn't have anything left of the piano like "clang"!I think I will begin using flatwounds but change them more often, maby once a year. I like the more "dullish" sound you get with a older set of strings but enough is enough! I think the old strings had almost lost their tone and defination.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I went from almost weekly stainless round string changes to having the same set of DR hi beams on for just over a year. I've got 2 sets of flats on the way (SIT regular and power flat) to try out

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

James Jamerson left his strings on for decades!! And I remember reading an interview with Bernard Edwards(Chic etc.) where they asked him what strings he used and he said "What does this bass come with - I never changed them!" ;)

6. Originally posted by Bruce Lindfield

James Jamerson left his strings on for decades!! And I remember reading an interview with Bernard Edwards(Chic etc.) where they asked him what strings he used and he said "What does this bass come with - I never changed them!"

He never cleaned his fingerboard either since he believed that a dirty fingerboard was where the funk was.

Can't argue with the man. ;)

7. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Essentially you can leave Flats on a long long time (years), but Rounds need to be changed when they loose their sound and tension. Go by your ears - not by a timetable. You'll probably save some $$.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm coming up on 2 years on the stainless flats on my Stingray.
    Doc

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    My Jbass copy (my first bass) still has the original rounds on it, they sound alright to me, and that as coming up for 5 yrs ago. But I don't like strings to be too bright

10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have a set of TI flats on a Stingray for over five years.

With roundwounds, I change them every few months.

LeonD

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've had the same set of DR lo-riders on my DP for 3/4 of a year. I soak them in alcohol for a few hours when the sound starts to get dull. They don't sound quite new, but close enough for me to not have to buy a new set. Of course if I could afford it I'd put new strings on every day.

12. Unless they break they stay.
    Or if they just get ot cruddy.
    My RIC has had the same strings for probally 12 to 15 years.
    I don't play it a ton but the strings still sound good to me.

13. I still have the original factory strings on my Gibson Mastertone banjo that I bought new in 1970...

:D

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'm just the opposite of all of you who have responded. I'd change my strings every gig if I could. It would just get too expensive. I love 'em new and change them when they lose that new "snap":)

Rob

15. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Still have the same set of roundwounds my '77 Rick 4001 came with new.....why are you looking at me like that?.......

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I predict (I'm psychic!! ;) ) that you use stainless steel strings?

17. jmacke

jmacke

Oct 7, 2002
    scotland
    I have a set of "groundwound" Rotosound , I think , on my f/less P bass, which have been on it since 1980. I love the big deep sound, but maybe thats coz its a 50's Bass, with old pickups. I used to boil strings in cooking oil now and again to keep the "ding ding", but it affected the taste of my chips, so I stopped.

18. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    JMACKE....LOL

19. I change mine about once a month, or sooner if they loose their sound. I like my strings to ahve a certain sound that dead roundwounds just don't have.

But having a decent day job means it's not a problem for me. When I was younger they would stay on for about 4 months before I couldn't take it, and I would try boiling them (good way to get the windings to unwrap) or some such "life extending" things.

At least I got some use form this college education

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Stainless steel it is. Love the sound

Rob