Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else watch "Red Ashpalt" in drivers ed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You know, the video that shows you all the dead bodies and body parts after a wreck?

We watched it today, and some dudes brain was dropping out of what was left of the top of his head when they were trying to get him into the body bag.

It is a real eye opener... One 17 year old girl was snapped in half after being hit buy a drunk driver... and they showed one guy who was not wearing a helmet on his motorbike who ended up with no head.

That movie was not really shocking to me, but it really made me think about my driving a whole lot more.

Anyone else have to see it or something similar?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I don't like that ****. we never watched it, our instructor was against it.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whoa.... Mike, you are freakin stupid... how did you manage that typo? Just stop typing MM... use your mind powers to move the keys or something.

4. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Its been awhile for me.. I think like 1988 is when I took drivers ed. Red Asphalt or some other dirivitives were shown.

Crazy SHIZNIT guys. Don't mess around the automobiles. I know it seems so cliche' what I'm saying, but listen to what is taught.

Its not something meant to be made fun of. If you screw up, you could really hurt someone, or worse.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah I saw something similar in the army..

Nothing like a real two-hour field surgery video making you not wanna step on those landmines :p

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :eek:

They're showing this stuff to kids at school?

Did you see that thread about the girl who got hit by a drunk driver a while back? Now *THAT* was shocking. Very disturbing. The thing was, she survived. I remember looking at the web page about it. First, it showed what she looked like before - a normal 19 year old girl, very pretty.

Then, scrolling down the page, you see the first picture of her after the surgery... one of the most shocking things I've ever seen. Really disturbing.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They don't work, same with those anti-smoking horror shows.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There was a TV advert over here a while ago, about wearing a seatbelt - I can't remember, but I think it got taken off, because it was a fairly shocking.

It showed a woman driving her car with her kids in the back - her son wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She hit something, and he was jolted forward, and crushed her against the steering wheel, killing her instantly.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's a long tradition of scare films being used in driver's ed and shop classes here in the US. I remember one we saw in the mid 70's that was similar - accident films in Ohio ca. 1961. Pretty grim.

Any of the other old farts remember "It Didn't Have to Happen", the staged shop class video from the 50's and 60's? Pretty funny stuff, all special effects impaling and decapitations.

10. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Thats what it was called when I was in Highscholl....As a matter of fact, that was the last year "any" schools offered it...

11. The only video I remember from drivers ed really was the "no zone" video, with all the cool songs...

NO ZONES!!
    stay
    out
    of
    the
    NO ZONES!!!:D

12. We saw Steel Death or something like that. I just love the narration for those movies; the cheesy speeches and titles like HeavyDuty said.

I always wanted to make one of those films that combined family values and safe driving:

(Narrator): Johnny is the star quarterback of the football team. He's taking the head cheerleader Janet out after the prom in his '57 Buick.

Johnny isn't paying attention to the road. Oh, no. He's going for some "action" off the football field.

*Horrific death scene*

(Narrator): Too bad. Maybe Johnny should have kept his hands on the wheel where they belong. Now he's just a corpse, just like this poor student who drank alcohol at the prom. (More death scenes.) Don't drink, don't have sex, keep your hands on the wheel, and you'll avoid: STEEL DEATH!!!!

*End*

13. What is it? A course on driving?

I wonder why they don't do them here?

14. yeah i had to watch it TWICE (failed) and its sick. i watched one on meat and lets just say i'm not much of a meat eater anymore....
    -shoonk

15. No, this isn't a class in a Public school, But at a driverS school. Its a class that you pay for that teaches you how to drive and all the signs of the road & stuff. They show video's to scare kids of driving under the influence. Some places show gross videos, and some don't. But you get cheaper insurance rates as kids, so its a plus in my book.

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Red asphalt.......woah! my girlfriend has seen it.
    Its pretty infamous! She says everyone she knows has seen it too

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Back in the day, they actually taught driving at high school, including behind-the-wheel training. Of course, this was after we walked barefoot to school dodging the pterodactyls.

When did they quit doing driver's ed in high school? I did mine in '77.

18. I had driver's ed in high-school. It's mandatory here as part of the PE program.

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I saw Red Asphalt last year when i took drivers ed. My school offers Drivers Ed as a summer school class that costs around $500 to take. This is an advantage at least in my state in that once you're 16 you can get your license if you took drivers ed. If you didn't, you have to wait till you're 16 & 6 months till you can get your license. Now me, being the bright minded kid that i am, passed drivers Ed with an A, then took the driving test at school. That was great, all i had to do was pass the written test at the BMV. I failed it, i missed 2 signs when you are only allowed to miss one so i got to retake the driving test and the written. Driving test was easy and the 2nd time around on the written test i didn't miss any. Moral of Story-I don't know. Thats all