Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else watching the fretless MTD ABG auction?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 13, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i was watching that and it was terribly tempting... but i was afraid it was not a legit MTD...

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    WOW... $2600+....It sure did go up...

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, I thought about writing Mr. Tobias about it, but figured it'd be too much for my wallet.

Marshall

5. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I wasn't watching the bass, but I was watching one of the sellers many Garfield figurines.

:bag:

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I was surpised that there was nothing in the auction detailing why it was made, for whom, blah, blah...You'd think that the seller would want people to believe it was the real deal...

actually i'd still like to know for who and why...

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I think Tom e-mailed or called Mike and he said it was legit. Now anything else about it I don't know. Maybe Tom will chime in and post some info, but I know in a passing e-mail he mentioned it.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There were very expensive when I asked Mike T about them, and he said the wait was much longer then a regular 535. Does he even do these anymore?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    He and Dan Lakin had a proto-type or two at a NAMM show about 4 years ago in nashville, but I never saw it hit the market.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    was it a joint venture ?

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    yea, but I don't know if this one is the same acoustic they were doing together.

12. It was a nice bass!!! but not for me...too many strings.. :spit:

13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I remember seeing a press release or something for these basses a few years ago. It's not the same bass as the Lakland/MTD semi hollow, which now has a skyline model.

I inquired with Mike about building one of these about 4 years ago, and he said the same thing as what Lamarjones said. Much longer build time. Plus, I think it was in the vicinity of 5k. This auction was a steal, plus I don't even know if he's building them at all anymore.

14. I went to visit Mike's shop when I was first looking at ABG's and played one of his. Though I eventually ended up going with something different, the MTD was very sweet, and at that point (he'd just introduced them) was priced not much more than the Taylors and Martins.

This was definately one of his, and I would have loved to be able to seriously consider picking it up, but not a chance...maybe some day, if he's still making them.

Mike

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The bass was legit. I was pretty serious about bidding until the last few minutes/seconds. I had spoken to Mike about the bass. According to Mike T it is a "great bass". This is not part of a Lakland partnership. Mike has made about 10 ABG's in the past. If you want one now, you'll have to figure on waiting about 8-9 years. He did tell me recently that he was trying to reorganize the shop, a bit, to be able to produce some more of them and had some interesting new design ideas. The guy seeling it was also legit and I understand his reason for selling is also on the up and up.

I am glad that it ent so high ... I am also disappointed it went so high

Mike

16. Did any in TB'er buy it??? i would love to read a review!!!

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mike has already confirmed this instrument's authenticity, but yes, I did e-mail Mike regarding this instrument. I did bid on the instrument, but was not the high bidder. I'm bummed that I didn't get to pick up this fine instrument, but I set my highest mark and someone went higher. That's the way it goes!

I'd still love to hear a review of one of these instrument, though.

Tom

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I know the buyer. He is a great guy and already has a few MTD's. He was lucky enough to make a last minute sale on another bass that allowed him to get this one. Mike T said that even though it went for 2600, it was still "a steal".

The new owner is a TB member but I do not believe he has ever posted. He is going to email me a review and some clips when he gets it. I'll pass along the info

Mike

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Please let him know that if for any reason he is not in love with it, I'm still interested! :D

Yeah, like that will happen... :meh:

Tom.