Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else with a Schnitzer/De Sola bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tbeers, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The label on the inside of my bass says "Schnitzer/De Sola 2003". It is 7/8 size, fully carved wood. I bought the instrument about a year and a half ago for $10k (it was originally listed on his website at $12k).

Since then I have heard a lot about New Standard basses, but I never see mention of another bass like mine. Do Arnold and Wil also make fully carved instruments to different specs like 7/8 size? Mine has 42" string length, I do not know the other measurements. Maybe I'll post a pic of it here.

So many players here talk about how great their NS basses are, and I guess I want to be part of the "club" hehe. But I'm not really sure if my bass was even made to the same design (I think it said on the website something about it being a Ruggieri copy).

Just curious on this, I only recently made the connection that Schnitzer/De Sola is the same team that does NS....

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oh never mind, mystery solved.... I found another of its kind.

http://www.aesbass.com/bassgallery.htm

The first bass listed there... although mine has more flame on the back and a lighter brown finish.

I guess Arnold and Wil occasionally make these basses.

3. rftbass

rftbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Waterford, CT
    One of the guys in the Eastern Connecticut Symphony has one. Loves it. Uses it rather his Rubner!

4. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's a beautiful bass there on the site. You must be very proud of yours. :)

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now, now, don't just tease...

Where are the photos? How does it play? how does it sound? What set-up and strings do you use? How can we live vicariously through you if you don't give us details? :D

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm getting a digital camera today. I'll put up some pics late tonight. My bass is strung with Obligatos, I use an Ary France bow (an extremely short, light one that I love).

The bass sounds full, has a nice low end growl. When I bought the bass, Arnold told me that he had lent it to a player in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra (I think... may have been NY Phil) while his main bass was being repared.

One cool thing about the instrument is that I swear -- I have actually heard its sound mature and open up even since I acquired it. Of course I may be imagining it, but I think the bass is only improving. Plus, the craftsmanship is extremely fine. The last two winters have been absolutely horrible, but I haven't had so much as a seam split (though I am careful about keeping the instrument in a 45% humidity room).

Photos to come.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I ended up posting my pics on your thread instead lol.

Aren't these instruments fabulous? Yours has dots on the fingerboard that mine doesn't have, but other than that they appear very similar.