Anyone else's AER amp one run hot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Twyford, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Jerry Twyford

Jerry Twyford

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    I bought a used AER amp one on here about a year ago. Love it, but I could cook eggs on it after a practice or show. Any other users have that experience, or is there something wrong with mine? Thanks!

2. I worked on one recently for a friend of mine. They have a little PC board that controls the fan, and they recommend replacing the fan control PC board as an assembly. I ordered one and replaced it, and the heatsink would get much hotter than what I thought it should before the fan kicked in. I juggled some resistor values in the thermistor circuit until The fan tracked the heatsink temperature properly.

This amp has next to nothing for a heat sink, so it's imperative that the fan works properly.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. Jerry Twyford

Jerry Twyford

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Hum, I'm not sure mine has a fan, just a heatsink... a smokin hot heatsink....

4. What model is it?
    The one I was working on was a Compact 200 XL. The chip that drives the output transistors will run so hot at idle you can't touch it if the fan isn't running.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I would like to think that if Jerry would like to contact AER Customer Service they would give him some advice. Meaning no disrespect to @byacey you don’t know what the previous owner has done to the amp to ‘improve’ it.

jeff7bass likes this.
  6. Jerry Twyford

Jerry Twyford

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    Hey, thanks guys. I was just trying to figure out if that was normal or if I have a problem. I know in the past my pope mpp1 runs hot, but when I contacted Mike he said that's normal due to the power supply being designed for quality not efficiency. Wasn't sure if there was a similar situation here.

7. Jerry Twyford

Jerry Twyford

Feb 13, 2014
    Missouri
    20180820_092629.jpg

8. AER is based out of Germany; all the information I got was through Jam Industries here in Canada, the distributor and warranty depot.

9. That sounds like a cop-out excuse for poor design practice. Excessive heat production has nothing to do with quality. If the design is similar to the 200XL, I believe their issue is the internal bias within the driver IC that drives the output transistors is passing too much current at idle, even though the actual discrete output transistors are biased properly.

jeff7bass likes this.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    I can't think of any good reason why an amp should run VERY hot, and I can think of a lot of bad reasons.