1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone euthanize a pet too early?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lakefx, Mar 12, 2013.

1. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    We just scheduled euthanasia for our dog, who is like our child, for this evening. My wife used to be a veterinary technician who helped with a lot of euthasia. She saw a lot of people who held off too long until the pet had clearly been in pain for a long time. I'm a little worried we may be jumping the gun because of this.

I'm not looking for any medical opinions or help with the decision, I just want to know have any of you felt you decided to euthanize too early?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    We had a collie/lab mix that couldn't walk well on her back legs. She was 12 or so years old and still seemed "happy" with being around us. We made the decision based on the fact she wasn't living a good life anymore. Barely moved, slept a lot, and was starting to have accidents.

Dogs don't start to show pain until they are really in pain. Hearing a dog howl in real pain is a sound I really don't want to hear ever again. Sorry you have to make such a tough decision, but the decision is yours.

I hope you gave the dog the best life you could, if you feel it is time, it is time.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I can't emphasize that enough.

If your dog is showing any signs of pain, it's because they are in SERIOUS pain. I wish they weren't so good at masking it so that people would know the moment pain affects them, but that's how they're made.

Be prepared to be a huge emotional wreck. Had to do it a couple of years ago and I was a mess for 2 months and still think of her a few times every week.

4. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Thanks for all the well wishes.

She really has been the perfect dog. She had mammary cancer when we adopted her at 8 years old. After a couple surgeries, she's been in remission for 7 years until it came back and went systemic, so she's not going to be around very much longer either way. At this point, we've just been approaching it day by day for about 3 weeks. She's had a few good days and a lot of mixed, but didn't really seem to bad until yesterday. Today is a little worse.

She's in real pain off and on. She has some pretty strong pain meds that make her a bit disoriented, but somewhat comfortable, but then sometimes shows the pain despite those. I hate these sorts of decisions where there really is no good option.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd trust your wife's judgment based on her experience.

6. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    She has no judgment right now, just emotion. It's bad enough that even she recognizes this :)

7. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    There is no such thing as euthanizing a pet too early. Most people keep pets alive for themselves.....not thinking what is best of the pet.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Surely euthanizing a healthy pet would be considered too early?

9. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    It sounds like the right thing to do based on what you're saying. I'd honestly rather put a dog down a little too early than have them in serious pain. We waited too long to put a dog down and it really kept me from having and getting attached to dogs for a long time afterwards!

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Your dog is 15, she has terminal cancer, and she is in pain. It sounds like the time has come to say goodbye. Don't feel guilty. You clearly love your dog and have provided her with a good life and a loving home, but given her condition, the kindest thing that you can do for her at this point is to have her euthanized. You and your wife have my sincere condolences.

11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    You're just going to have to realize that you can't know for absolutely certain. You make a judgement call based on the facts at hand. I've probably waited a little too late more than once, but I'll never know for certain. Your intent and compassion trumps all else.

12. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    Man you have my sympathies. I don't care how right it is, it makes you feel terrible.

13. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Thank you all, this has really helped!

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    It's definitely one of the toughest decisions you may ever have to make. It's hard to put emotion aside and do what's best for the dog and not for you. Like others here I had to make the decision to do what was best for two of my dogs - one in the past year. My thoughts are with you...

15. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    You have my sympathy. Saying goodbye to a beloved companion, no matter how it happens, is so difficult.

I've only had to do this once, but I *knew* it was time. I suppose someone, somewhere, could have argued that we should have given another medical regimen a try. But we knew Indydog better than anyone else. It was time.

Nobody knows your animal better than you do. You will do the right thing. It won't be easy.

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    My sympathies, we recently had to put our old kitty cat to sleep. He was diagnosed with diabetes and took insulin twice a day for the last four and a half years. His age (17) and the disease finally caught up with him. It was very hard on us and we miss him everyday but it was the right thing to do for him. We didnt want him to suffer , it was getting very difficult for him to go up and down the stairs, we would have felt horrible if he took a tumble down the basement stairs and ended his life all broken and in agony. At least this way it was easy on him. Still, its not an easy thing on you, he was my little buddy for 17 years and it broke my heart to let him go.

17. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    We had all three of our pets die in the last four years - two dogs and a cat. The oldest dog and cat went through very extended health problems and we set dates and had our vet come to the house for euthanization. We wondered whether it was the 'right' time, but know that there is no 'right' time. The younger dog, who was my buddy, had heart issues, but never showed any major problems. One day, he started breathing heavy, and we upped his meds. Seven days later, he died at home. It was awful to watch him, basically, suffocate to death, but it - of course - happened late at night. He died thirty minutes before the vet office opened.

After that experience, in my opinion, it is much worse to wait too long. There will always be a possibility that a pet has a few good days left, but it is also just as possible that any suffering could be extended.

I feel for you and your wife - it has been a year since our younger dog died and I still find myself expecting to see him on the couch every now and then. But, I wouldn't trade the time I had with him to avoid the tough end. Support your friend to the end, and remember the good times you had.

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I hate to hear all of this ....

I guess the alternative would be hospice for an animal

I have only had one pet put down . She was four and started biting everyone she met ....biting mutlipule times like as in attacking ....even me....i think she went insane ...

We kept a cat for 15 years and one day she started moaning and crying . We all held her and made her as comfortable as we thought we could . She died in our arms about ten minutes later .

I then buried her in the backyard with flowers on top and everything . Then the aforementioned attack dog tried digging her up . I though my then wife was gonna kill the dog right then and there.

Man its tough ,,,hang in there.

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    So.......Kill a dog for those reasons and you are a caring individual,
    do the same to grandma and you are a cold, uncaring bastard.
    go figure!

20. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.