1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever added casters to a 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by triggervision, Mar 11, 2008.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I am about to be on the road this summer playing about 3-4 gigs a week. Thought about buying the mesa powerhouse 1000 but it seems like everywhere I've ever played I just run DI post eq on my ashdown mag 300. So, I am just keeping my ABM 4x10 cab (since it's no more than a stage monitor) and am going to put casters on it. What is quality and what is not when it comes to casters. I know I want locking casters. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread...:bag:

2. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    yeah, I did. It made a world of difference. Hartke 410XL is about 85 lbs and having wheels on it really helped when we had to park two blocks from the load in point (small street, lots of traffic).

Prior to that, I had a dolly. But I stopped using it after one of my cabs fell on my foot.

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I put casters on a 4x10 about 5 years ago. It was way easier than I thought it would be. Ernie ball makes some removeable ones. Just get those, measure an inch or 2 in from each side on the corner, get the right drill bit, and your good. It took me about 20 minutes. It made a big big difference lugging that bad boy around.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You can buy casters that have wheel locks. Very useful so your speaker cabinet doesn't roll down the street

Put two locking casters and two regular casters on your cab.

5. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    I haven't added them to a cab but the casters Mesa puts on their Recto 4/12 cabs are great. Big, heavy duty casters that are removable by sliding them out of grooves in the caster plate. They may use them on other cabs but I just know of them from when I had a Recto cab. MUCH nicer than the baby caster that you typically find on cabs, including my 120lbs Ampeg PR410HLF.

6. lomky

lomky

Jan 19, 2006
    I bought some of these: http://coolcasters.com/index.cfm/category/2/150-series-solid-skate-wheel-casters.cfm (the swivel plate style) for my 4x10 cab. I was pretty careful about mounting these. I put an extra piece of 1/4" wood inside the cabinet and used t-nuts and bolts, with some thread lock. Seems to be working nicely so far. the only problem is my cab feels a little top heavy now, but man thoughs inline skate wheels roll AMAZINGLY!

7. ive added 'em on the bottom and sides of a 410 and my 215, much easier to move around and load in and out.

8. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I put 3" casters on my big cabs, even ones that have built in dollys on the back edge. Makes life alot easier.

9. Like LAG I put 3" casters on my big 15" cab.

I bored clean thru' the base and used bolts with big load-bearing washers on the inside to spread the load. 4 bolts/caster.

Well worth it.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    +1

11. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Sounds good. Looks like I'm on a mission.

12. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    If you have a Harbor Freight store near you , you can save some money buying them there... and you'll help support a village of 11 year old chinese children in the process.

13. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    If they aren't already there, I put 'em on

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have also added casters to a couple of different 4x10's...one of which was an Ashdown ABM 410H...The other was an Ampeg PR410-HLF...I took the cheesy plug-in casters off of it and bolted on some heavy duty ones I picked up at Home Depot.

Those plug-in casters that Ampeg puts on their stuff are horrible (IMO)...they are way too small for the weight of some of the cabs (especially the PR410-HLF), and were constantly popping out...

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I made a wood dolly, painted black, with webbing straps and click locks to wrap around the cab and nice beefy casters.
    I use it with various cabs and means I don't have to alter the cab at all.
    Easy to remove the dolly and sit cab on the floor or stack cabs.
    I love it and usually leave it attached for the gig

16. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    I know exactly what you mean! Why would you put those puny casters on such a heavy cab? Mine are annoying and I pretty close to doing what you did BUT I've got a GB 610 on the way so it may be a moot point.

17. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    I made the mistake of putting the cheaper "hard" wheels on. They worked fine but made a lot of noise on concrete :)

18. I've done the Ernie Ball removable casters on 2 of my bass cabs.

Just have to make sure you have (or can get a hold of) a bit the right size.

I have had one or 2 of the casters split on me- but I just bought another set, popped out the bad one, threw it away and put the new one in.

19. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I also found that the plug-in type casters were just too small for the weight of the PR410hlf...so even rolling it was not smooth...I don't think a lot of thought went into that part of the design...

20. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Will it affect your cab if you drill through the wood and into the belly of the cab when putting in casters?