Anyone ever backed a poet?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 25, 2003.

1. An altoist friend of mine is putting together some people to back a poet tomorrow night, and offered the gig to me. I'm not sure what I would do. Anyone ever done something like this?
  2. I can't say I ever have, but it sure sound like fun!
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I did a few poetry slam things like that at the coffeehouse night at school years ago. I mostly went for a "call and response" type of thing, and used a lot of maj/minor 10ths.

I think this was a common feature on the old Steve Allen show, but that's before my time. Stanley Clarke performed on URB with Maya Angelou on his scholarship special on BET.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

Wear black turtleneck
    Wear black beret
    Grow back smug goatee and shave it in a point (Probaly can't grow one in time though)
    Get circle sunglasses
    Play lots of walking bass lines on a double bass

:D ;)

Seriously though, that sounds really cool. I've always wanted to perform in a poetry/spokenword type of setting. I've also always wanted to jam while someone paints a picture and using the music I'm/we're playing as inspiration.
  5. know something about the poet, and what type of thing they will be reading, before the gig. that will give you a great idea of how to go into it.
  6. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    My girlfriend is a photo/poetry major at her highschool. And for some thing for school she was really scared because she had to go on stage and recite poetry infront of people. Anyways, she convienced her teacher to let me play bass to help her better. I read the poems and did some low scales to go along with the feelings expressed in the poems. Other then that I just dressed to impress.
  7. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I've done it a few play can be very,very cool when there is alot of "ears" on the bandstand,when there is'nt...:eek: :bawl: :eek: :bawl:
  8. grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Play the bass line to My Name Is Mud,loudly.
  9. Ever see the movie, "So I Married an Axe Murderer"?

If not, rent it. It has some cool 'poetry/band' moments.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...I just did mellow walking bass lines.

Sounds best with brushes/snare and muted trumpet.

brad cook
  11. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Just keep it simple, play by ear and don't look down. Create an atmosphere that caters to the words, to mess up would bassicly be to try really hard.
  12. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    make sure the last not of every phrase rhymes. That's what I'd do.
    If you end with a B, end the next line with a C. Or maybe a D.
    Dont' end with G or F .
    I mean A, G is OK