1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever been to the Middle East/South Asia?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ROON, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I am going to Oman, The United Arab Emirates and India in January next year. I'm really looking forward to seeing Muscat, Dubai and Mumbai! Any fellow TB'ers been travelling round these parts? :) I think we are going to stay in Bahrain for a while too, not sure.

2. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Been to Muscat, Dubai and Bahrain. Lots of nice architecture so bring your camera. Lots of cheap gold so bring the girlfriend. Don't look like you're in the military (wear your hair long).

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Good Chance I could be there late this year.

4. I've been to Middle Earth :D

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I lived in Bahrain from 98 to 01. Great country. Oman is the most beautiful of all the countries in the region. Dubai is a shopping mall. Nothing more. Lots of tall buildings in the desert with horrible traffic. Not an Arabic experience.

Don't go in the summer.

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    always confuses me when people say "south asia" since a great deal more of asia is further south than "south asia"??

just a thought.

7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    + 1 on the military look. I was at a market in Cairo with my almost shaved head and endured lots of catcalls from the locals who didn't seem real happy with our presence - "Rambo" and "General" were the most common. I was glad to get out of there... :ninja:

Been to Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi, Kuwait and Iraq a number of years ago - when I was actually in the military.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been there once.... ;)

9. Bali, in '76 or so. Beautiful place- wouldn't go there now.:(

10. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    if your looking at the grand scale of personal harm being imposed on your self ....bali doesnt even figure.

11. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    That's nonsense. What are you talking about?

12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Kinda funny, Rambo had long hair in the movies. :D

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Aw you guys for real? I love my long hair! :p Looks like I might have to part with it for the holiday. :( :rollno: :scowl: Is there any way to have long-ish hair without being labeled as a soldier? :p

I can't wait though, I'm lucky to go to places like this. I have already been to the US, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, and I'm not even 17 yet! And now I get to have a taste of Arabia! ;)

India looks and sounds a bit "rough" for travelling, but I know it will be a great experiance. I'm really looking forward to Oman, the scenery and buildings look beautiful. UAE should be fun too! :)

14. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No, we said wear your hair long so you don't look like you are in the military.

15. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh... Oh now I get it. Sorry got a bit confused. :p

I was thinking "All the Indians on tv seem to have long hair, why can't I? :confused: " :p

If anyone know's of/remember's where some good accomodation in Oman is please tell! We are trying to find a place that isn't a 5 star resort with spa's and sauna's... that's not what we travel for. Unfortunatly we havn't seen any "normal" places to stay on the net. Lets hope Oman doesn't go all touristy and get wrecked like certain other countries!

16. Well i live in the middle east lol... i live in bahrain, hey its cool that some of you guys were there, tell me about your experiences. Ive been to Saudi(least favourite middle easter place), Dubai which is the most modern and western middle eastern place, Oman which is beautiful, and Kuwait which is nice but very very hot. Ive also been to Thailand which is pretty nice.

17. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu

just check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

...the definition of the countries in the region.

and then look at a map.

hint..... the countiries at the bottom are more towards the south.
    ;)

18. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    traveling there only place i'd really like to see is the taj mahal in india, that'd be amazing.

19. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    So... you're saying that parts of Southeastern Asia are further south than South Asia?

And this confuses you?

20. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu

er not really...... i love living in south east asia ..even though i would have to fly at least eight hours non stop northwards to reach the south.

think about it. and then give your weary brain a much deserved rest.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021