Anyone ever buy a bass because it's as old as you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AK Rev, Jul 7, 2008.

1. AK Rev

AK Rev

Apr 24, 2007
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I have thought of buying a Fender Precision that is the same vintage as me. Problem is...'73's are not cheap!

Ok, fess up...who has bought a bass because it was the same vintage as you?

2. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I dont think Leo Fender was born yet.....

3. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    i've been looking for one with my birthday as the stamp date on the neck, I've come close, and the inflated hype with 1983 fullerton basses is crap :spit:

4. Well my 1980 Peavey T-40 is as old as me but that's not why I bought it. I also used to own a 1977 Gibson RD which I thought it was pretty cool that it was older than me. Too bad it sounded awful.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are no commercial mass-produced basses older then me - I was born in 1950.

6. You thin thats 'spensive, Try buying a 62 J!!! I once had that notion but it passed quickly:D

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Yes, I had a choice between a '62 or a '57 , and I had to go with the '57 vintage. It was a very good year.
    OK, so they're reissues!

8. If I could find a 63 Jazz that didn't cost the same as small car I'd love to. Might check out the 62 Reissue or the 64 NOS or Closet Classic for fun...

9. AK Rev

AK Rev

Apr 24, 2007
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Were there any '73 reissues?

10. There weren't any Fender basses in 1947.................

11. I have a 76 Grabber restoration project. Older than me.

12. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I've thought about getting a second hand Aria or a Westone bass about the same age as me. Then I realised that I don't need another 4 string and put that idea to rest, but still... might be best to pick one up before the whole "vintage instrument!" tag starts getting thrown about the place.

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    It'd be cheaper and easier for me.

14. I would surely LOVE to have a bass as old as I....but since they were using tree bark for strings and furthermore, since they have no "reliable" means of equating "cubits" to wood of that period - I think I am sadly out of luck....:crying:

Signed:

Methusila

:D

15. I have a '92 P-lyte. I was born in '91 :p

Not quite vintage.. shouldn't be hard to do

16. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I always wanted one - which would be '63 for me. I thought I had a line on one at one point; the guy I bought it from thought it was a refinned 63 P. It turned out to be a '62 with a lovely slab board .

I didn't complain.

17. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    It would have to be a string bass. Didn't make no electrics back in WWII.

18. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Hmmm...1993...I wonder what basses were like back then?

19. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I did. I bought a '69 P-Bass a few years ago that turned out to have a basket case neck. I had to part it out. Lost a few bucks and it left a bad taste in my mouth so I didn't try again. I wish I had though, because they were going for about $1500 then.

20. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    most basses from 83 i wouldn't want anyway. maybe the fullerton fender reissues, but, meh...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021