1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever buy a used bass from Musicians Friend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm just wondering if any of you have ever bought a used bass from Musicians Friend. If so - how'd it work out for you?

I'm just curious because I bought a used Music Man Bongo 5 HH that should be here at the end of the week. From the photos I could only see a little nick at the upper-most point of the head-stock. It was able to get it a couple hundred cheaper than a new one so I figured that I'd take a chance on it. I can always return the bass if it comes in worse shape than I think is worth the reduced price.

Curious if anyone had any good luck buying 'used' from Musicians Friend?

I'll post a reply on how my venture turns out when it arrives.
    Thanks ,
    P-P

2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Bought used from MF? Yes, but it was unintentional. Listed as "new" and probably was really B stock. Happened twice. Sent one back (FSR jazz with a ding on the headstock) and kept one (an AVRI jazz, near mint, at a compelling price). Let us know how yours turns out!

P.S. Tried to buy a used AVRI P from sister company Music123. Got a confirmation followed a day layer by a cancellation notice. I was steamed. Apparently they sold it to someone else.

3. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought a used Fernandes Tremor many years ago, it was a smoking deal and I received it as described and with no issues with shipping or damage by shipping. Very satisfied YMMV.

4. I bought a used Hofner Icon violin bass from MF a few years ago, it is still one of the best basses I have. I also bought a used Danelectro Dano 63 bass that I still have and use, both were very reasonably priced and in excellent condition.

5. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've ordered numerous things from GC used online, and never been disappointed. Not the same company entirely, but close enough.

I just got an Ampeg Portaflex 350 with a 210 cab, and it's in fantastic condition. My wife got her guitar online used as well, and it still looks brand new to this day.

In my experience, these big bad companies that everyone likes to trash on can usually put out some good products if you give them the chance to.

6. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I hate to say that I bought two 'new' items that were 'used' from Musicians Friend (Even though they swore that the GK Neo 212-II was new). I returned them for an exchange and stressed the fact that I bought new. I will say that they were very apologetic and made it up to me in a price reduction.

I'm sure hoping that the Bongo pans out for me and the only damage is the small nick as pictured. I suppose I could live with a few small nicks , but if it's any more than that I'll send it back and save up the couple extra hundred for a new one.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread so far. You have gotten my hopes up - no horror stories so far.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've considered it but their used prices aren't generally reasonable. Every now and then I'll see a great price and the condition of the bass is "needs repair".

8. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've recently made a couple big purchases through them (and let them know that I did) and talked them down on the price even though the salesman said they normally can't drop their used prices. I talked them down enough to put it in my price range and give it a shot.

9. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I bought a used bass from Musician's Friend. I don't recall if it was "Mint" or "Gently Used" category. In any case, when I got it I could not find a defect or a blemish on it. I am guessing it was a return that didn't get played. 100% satisfied and still gigging with that bass more than a year later.

10. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I've bought used several times from MF/Music123. All of the instruments were in better cosmetic condition than I thought they would be. I returned one instrument due to a possible neck pocket issue that I wasn't OK with but was cosmetically beautiful. YMMV

Also, keep in mind that if you return it you will have to pay shipping back to them and get dinged on the free shipping to you.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1

Guitar Center is worth checking out, just make sure you darn near harass them about the official condition of the item (try to get it in an email) before you buy it and hold your ground if something you order is jacked up. The last item was in great condition, except for the tubes they yanked out and tossed in with the rest of the amp resulting in them being crushed.

FWIW, I'm now looking at buying a guitar combo and 5'er from their used section as well. For the price, it's difficult to beat if you can sniff out one with good condition. The available warranties and return policy are helpful as well.

12. I just got a used sunburst geddy lee jazz, about a month ago, from musicians friend. No problems at all from what i could see. The picture they had showed some small scratches, but i couldnt find them when the bass came. It needed a setup, but has been great. Very satisfied, considering i was thinking the worst, such as why was it returned, did someone know something i dont, ect.

13. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    No. I have not bought a used instrument from Musician's Friend.

I have purchased from Guitar Center used though and GC owns MF so maybe they are similar. I have had good results over all. In regards to instruments I picked up a Brian Moore 13 pin guitar and it shipped in its original case, with tons of bubble wrap around the case, inside a shipping box. It was out of tune and only needed a very minor set up, but what guitar doesn't?

I hope this helps.

14. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I hope that I am in the same boat as these two posts when it arrives this Friday. I work 2nd shift and won't get home until late Friday night so I'll only have a couple hours to mess around with it Saturday afternoon before I play that same night with it. Could be a little scary playing a gig with an unfamiliar bass - especially since it's a 5 string and I mostly used to four strings. Could be an interesting night to say the least.

Once again - I'd like to thank everyone who posted in this thread. I appreciate it.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a "scratch and dent" mandolin from them that I couldn't find a scratch or dent on, so I was very satisfied. I assume it was a scratch and dent because it had been returned or was a demo or something so hey couldn't sell it as new, but it might as well have been new. Very happy with that purchase.

I bought a Peavey Dyna 5 from GC online, and it was a good experience. They had good pictures, communicated well, and shipped it fast and cheaper than most places ship to Hawaii (I think they charged actual shipping instead of marking it up like most places do when they ship to hawaii). I only paid $77 for shipping. All other sites (especially eBay) wanted twice that. Very happy with both experiences.

I have also purchased new basses from them and had good luck,

16. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've only bought a used cab from MF, and It was in immaculate condition. The only problem (a dent on a metal corner) was pictured in the listing, so everything went great.

17. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I bought a used Acoustic B115 cab from them for a stupid cheap price, back in 2008. At the time I lived in Anchorage. The cab shipped in only its original package/box. It was not otherwise specially packed for shipping in any way.

Upon arrival, the box looked so bad, I could not figure out how it was actually still physically wrapped around the cab. I was cringing and expected the worst.

The cab looked and sounded brand new. I used it happily, as a house/bedroom amp, for about 3 years.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    bought a condition one used sb-2 from mf for 865, because somebody scratched the pickg
    very faintly, helluva deal on an amazing mia g&l

19. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Wow - all positive results so far. I didn't expect that for some reason. I'll find out tomorrow night when I get home from work.

20. Stevos

Stevos

Mar 14, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    I bought a Musicman 5 string Stingray at M/friend at about half retail on a "scratch & dent" sale several years ago and no regrets. Couldn't find the defect and it plays well. I was stuck with no color choice and ended up with white....it grows on ya!