1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone ever change the pickguard of an SX jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marc., Sep 11, 2008.

1. I got an SX jazz bass last week and it is amazing, except for a few scratches on the pickguard that also look like little air bubbles (like when someone tries to put a sticker on and they have bubbles all in them). I tried flattening them but it looks even worse. Could I put this pickguard:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jazz-Bass-3Ply-Pickguard-?sku=361303

on this bass?:

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/bass/sjb75c3tsbk1.jpg

It LOOKS like it'd be alright, but I'd rather ask here first to see if anyone's got any firsthand experience with this stuff.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

Methinks that the Fender is different enough to not fit with the control plate on your SX. I was just about to post and ask where people get after market pg's for their budget basses. I have a Pbass that looks exactly like the SX stuff except, from what I can tell, it's the european equivalent, "Roytek."

I don't think this counts as a thread derailment.

peace.

3. Gramtron

Gramtron

Mar 11, 2007
    Loveland,CO
    i got my jazz replacement from warmoth and i had to do a considerable amount of filing to get it to fit. but it still looked cool. and had to drill new holes, forgot about that.

4. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    marc, before you blow any money:

SX pickguards have TWO layers of plastic on them. make sure you've peeled both.

5. That's what I was thinking, but they must made them to make sure that no one can get the second one off, because me and several other people have tried many times. I'll go try again. Thanks for confirming my thought.

6. Sorry for the late response. I looked closer and I found out that there WAS another layer of plastic. That's weird. I pulled it off and it looks incredible now, thank you!

7. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    You know, if the KOREANS can put two layers of plastic on thier pickguards, why can't everyone else?

Dave

8. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Or is it the Chinese? Sorry.

You guys build a good bass CHEAP!

9. If you ever decide to swap the 'guard, you can get a custom one made by Tony at Pickguardian.com. If memory serves, it was around $50 delivered. :)