Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever check out R Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jul 24, 2000.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Have you checked out R Basses? I've looked for YEARS trying to find a bass with killer playability, ridiculous tone, and a good price!! I found a guy who posts all the time on bassgear.com named Dave Jones. He works with a luthier in NY named Ray Rogers. Dave sells these R Basses through his online site....I was HIGHLY skeptical about buying an instrument that not only have I never seen before, but never played!!! Something, however made me move ahead and order it.....well, I've owned literally every high end manufacturer's bass, and after I went through and did a very meticulous setup, I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!!! It smoked EVERY bass in my collection!!! Action so low I can barely fit a credit card under the G at the 24th fret, NO BUZZES, and talk about TONE!!!!! It came with Bart jazz pickups and the most KILLER HazLab preamp...3 band, mid voiced correctly (for me at 250), and totally versitile! I paid 2200, which compared to other 5-6000$ basses I've had, I should have been arrested for highway robbery! It has a nice lightweight alder body, rosewood top plate, matching plate on the headstock, and a very sweet ebony board...now, I normally dislike ebony, but this particular piece works very well in conjunction with the other woods....check out bassgear.com, and look under R Basses in the search engine...try ads about 30 days old.....Dave Jones and Ray not only treated me first class, but have made every effort to take care of any tweaking I've wanted done....totally first class customer service!!! Has anybody else had an experience with these basses??? Lemme know, cause I'm SOLD!!

2. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    I've been looking at R basses (Ray Rogers) on various sites and have been impressed so far. I was wondering if anyone has feedback on them since jacochops posted this thread last year?

3. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I played done a few months ago. It had an alder body cocobola top and bart p/us with wood covers and the hazlab preamp. Playability was superb. Construction was as good as I have ever seen. Tone was excellent. The only thing I didn't like was the body shape, it looked just like a Fodera. I love the Fodera Emperor body, it's one of my favorites. I just think, with the R Bass being as nice as it is, it deserves its own body shape. I would own this over a Fodera any day because I think its easily as good and costs considerably less. In fact I've played several Fodera's including most of Vic Wootens and the one R Bass I've played was way better in terms of tone and playabilty.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's my only "problem" with the R's. Fodera-inspired is okay, Fodera copy is unnecessary.
    He did the same with Carl Thompson basses.

If I find one cheap though...;)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe you saw my post about them several hours before you resurrected this thread. If not, it's in RAM's "Exotic Basses." The one I refer to is a design without an upper horn - just a big hunk of gorgeous wood running along the upper side of the neck way down the frets. An incredible piece of sonic and visual art.

6. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    I think I did read your post rickbass1 and I have to agree that from the pics I've seen, R basses are "An incredible piece of sonic and visual art" (Although I haven't knowingly heard one yet.) Thanks for the feedback.

7. CodeCOMPLETE

CodeCOMPLETE

Feb 12, 2001
    is there a website for R basses? I've been considering one for a long time and i can't find a site?

thanks

Chris

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Interesting tid bit:

I've been to Ray's shop here in Brooklyn, NY and he's got some nice stuff. I also purchased a Fodera Emperor 5 from him at a great price! ;) It seems like he gets them(Fodera's) in trade so that he can get that Fodera vibe down just right. :D

And oh, like you Brad, if I find one cheap, especially the single cut away...;)

Phil

9. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
  10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  11. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Do you know that most manufacturers make a Jazz bass copy. You can't say that it is a copy of a Fodera. If you say that then you must say that all the jazz basses are copies (Sadowsky).

The R bass is the best bass out there. I have played a 5 and a 6. If you are looking at Fodera's Smith's or any other high end bass, check out the R basses. They are sweet.

And yes they are better than Fodera's.

About Ray copying Carl Thompson....He used to work for Carl. That is why you will see one by Ray Rogers. Most of those were done in Carl Thompson's shop.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I s'pose you've got to start somewhere, right? I can argue this either way. But, I'm also a firm believer that true originality can't exist anymore. Originality, to me, really stems from an existing idea where someone thinks they can produce a better result. Microsoft is exactly that. So is Sadowsky. So is Toyota.

I will admit, however, that today I've seen basses by Fodera, Elrick, and R Basses that all have that single cutaway, with the upper "horn" (for lack of a better word) extending well into the playing position of the neck...it's uncanny! But, if Fodera started that idea (which I can't confirm), perhaps Rob Elrick and Ray Rogers both felt that structurally it's more sound...or, it's a gimmick...or...

But, then again, the same thing can be said for the offset body of a Jazz Bass ending up in different variations on dozens of luthiers workbenches.:eek:

By the way, what is it, in your opinion, that separates Fodera and R Basses? Why is an R Bass any better than Fodera (except for the obvious price difference)?

13. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I have felt that with Fodera's, with AB the same models, I have found that some I didn't like and others I did. I didn't find that with the R. I found that AB the same models, they are the same. That isn't true with Fodera's. Which can be good and bad. If I order an instrument from the manufacturer that I have played before I would expect it to be pretty darn close to what I have played.

To your statement about originality. You are correct with that. Nothing is original anymore. Everything derives from something else. That's why so many things look alike or you can see other things in that one thing you are looking at.

I believe the idea of the single cutaway came from the other guitar. Gibson or Gretsh or some other old hollowbodied guitar.

14. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I agree about the copying of basses. Essentially, aren't all electric bass somehow a copy or elaboration on Leo Fender's original design? Sadowsky is a fine example of this, because a Sadowsky instrument bears such a close resemblence to a Fender instrument. However, because Sadowsky is so well recieved and is acknowledged to produce wonderful instruments, people lay off. The same applies to R bass. I have yet to play one, and have seen very few. They interest me, however. I think that once the R bass becomes recognized, they might just step out from the shadow of Fodera, just as Sadowsky stepped out of the shadow of Fender. We'll see, I guess.

Anywhere that I can find a picture of a nice R bass 6?

15. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I am in texas and there is a guy in Austin, Tx that has one. It was for sale so I went to play it. He has two other R basses.

16. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yes, most people know that there are lots of "jazz bass" basses. Some are flat out copies, some are jazz bass-inspired. I don't think many will confuse a Pedulla Rapture or Lakland 55-94 with a Fender.

As far as the R single cut goes, I "can" say it's a copy of a Fodera because that's what it is. Look at it. I'd bet most people would think it was a Fodera if you replaced the "R" with a butterfly. Same body style, same control layout, same neck construction. Instead of taking the route Rob Elrick did (inspired instead of of copied) Ray chose this route...not that there's anything wrong with that. It's definitely easier than designing something from scratch.

I know he worked with Carl Thompson. Nicholas Tung worked with Mike Tobias. A Tung will never be mistaken for a Tobias but Ray's CT copies are "mistaken" for the real thing all the time.

A Sadowsky is not a cheaper way to get a bass that looks like a Fender Jazz, in other words a copy. Can the same be said for R's in reference to Foderas?

I strongly disagree about originality. Part of being original might mean taking chances. Rob Elrick has what I consider an original design. Mike Tobiases basses didn't resemble anything when they hit the scene. What is an Ashbory a copy of? I still haven't seen a bodystyle like my Zon Legacy. Seen any of Jack Read's creations? Surine?

If by original you mean not sharing the absolute basics...come on. Are all cars "the same" because they have tires, seats, steering wheels and an engine?

Then again, maybe someone can look at a Ric and see a Fender. I guess it could happen.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Single cut basses were pioneered by Anthony Jackson/Vinnie Fodera. The idea was to create greater neck stability. This is not the same as a single cutaway guitars (Les Paul style) or other basses.

19. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I'm with Brad. It seems Ray doesn't know who HE is, Carl Thompson or Vinnie Fodera. Elrick is a perfect example. He has a very fuctional yet original design. And since I like F Bass, there's another original. Look at Zon and even Modulus. When you see just the silhouette of these basses you know what they are which goes along way in terms of free advertising, I think it's called product recognition. I know any time a band comes on TV I check to see what bass is being played. Often I only get a glimpse but 9 times out of 10 I can tell what bass it is by either the body shape or the headstock. I think Ray does himself a great disservice by not standing out a little. I don't want to see some BC Rich style but something a little different. His basses are nice enough that with an original body design and a few years behind him, he should be the one getting copied.

20. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    What I was saying about the single cutaway. From design and looks it came from the guitar.

With the control layout on the R is has to be that way because of how Haz Lab creates that circuit. Haz lab used to make it for Fodera and many other basses.

You will just need to play a R to see what I am talking about. You can't judge on things that have not been tested.

There are many basses out there that are original but most have been designed from the jazz bass.

Price doesn't matter with a copy. The copy could cost $10,000 and it would still be a copy.